Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
CA
i want cheap ddr pc3200 ram for my g5
i mean cheap price not quality
i want to know of more generic pc ram that wont give me issues with the g5 so i can do more shopping around and get the best price possible

have people had any luck with crucial rendition or kingston valueram and other cheap types of ram if so please post

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
check ebay.
i've seen them go for as low as $15 shipped(1gb) but you will have to get lucky to find them that cheap. otherwise you can find them for roughly $20-30 shipped for a 1gb stick.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
CA
check ebay.
i've seen them go for as low as $15 shipped(1gb) but you will have to get lucky to find them that cheap. otherwise you can find them for roughly $20-30 shipped for a 1gb stick.

are they compatible ram ?
anyone got some bands i can search for?

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
I've been using cruicial ram for well over a year now with no apparent issues, not cheap by any means since I bought it new then, but eh, good stuff.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
CA
when i look on ebay i see lots of generic ram with secs that should work from powersellers
but i see high density and low density, but most say low works for most computers while high only works on very few.
im not sure what the difference is other than i could get 2x1gb sticks of high density for less than the price of 1x1gb low density
so whats the different density mean does it effect performance? and can the powermac g5 support high density or low density or both.

ocbo41

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
when i look on ebay i see lots of generic ram with secs that should work from powersellers
but i see high density and low density, but most say low works for most computers while high only works on very few.
im not sure what the difference is other than i could get 2x1gb sticks of high density for less than the price of 1x1gb low density
so whats the different density mean does it effect performance? and can the powermac g5 support high density or low density or both.

I purchased 2x1GB high density ram for my old custum built PC, was suposed to hold me over untill the MP gets here but I had nothing but issues. The auction stated that the samsung DDR2 PC2700 was suposed to work on the Via KT400 but it wouldnt post, wouldnt work on my dads eMac either. Long story short I wasted 2 weeks and $25 in shipping and restocking fee's...should have just spent $50 on newegg's 1GB kingston value ram and be done :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Any JDEC compatible memory will work.

Umm, Err... depends
That's like saying "Any Radial tires will fit my Toyota"... without mentioning the size, width or profile.

1) How do you know if the RAM on Ebay/Discount generic place is completely JEDEC compatible?
2) How do you know what the SPD settings are that are written to the DIMM? The Mac won't work if the SPDs are missing or wrong (even though many PCs will)
3) How do you know the density is correct?

Different Macs have different sensitivities to out of spec RAM. While the PowerMac G5 Dual-Processor is moderately tolerant, the G5 iMac is extremely intolerant, even though they both take nominally the same specification RAM. Kingston ValueRAM will crash and burn on the iMac G5. I generally recommend staying away from the ValueRAM line for Macs, although the correct KTA- series is good.

Your best bet is to choose a reputable dealer who will guarantee compatibility with your model Mac, offer a lifetime warranty, and a no-cost (no restocking, no shipping) return if it does not work.

If you are in teh USA, then OWC (macsales.com) DMS (datamem.com) and Crucial (use the link at the top or bottom of the page) are often recommended.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
CA
i ended up orderings some Crucial Rendition 1GB PC3200 DDR400
RM12864Z40B
any idea if it will work?
i checked crucial's website and didnt find RM12864Z40B or even any info on rendition ram

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.