What's the cheapest solution for my storage needs?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by marklight, Oct 3, 2008.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

I have three 1TB hard drives that are in my mac pro and they're filled with media. I need to expand my storage space so I'm looking to move those hard drives out of the mac pro, and into a storage tower where I could also have other hard drives. I'd then connect this tower to my mac pro (obviously).

I know some people would recommend drobo, however I do not need to back up this data so I don't want to pay extra for that luxury, plus it only has four slots, and i'd like to have more hard drives than that- but it's not necessary. I could probably just do with 1 more TB.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you just need one more TB why not just get one more drive and have it be external?

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Or put 1 more drive into the Mac Pro. It does have 4 drive bays, right, or do you have all four full? I'd just find an external drive as well if that's the case.

4. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to have a separate media storage device, so I can free up the space in my mac pro for business stuff. Sorry should have said that.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes. I, too, am looking for something along these lines.

It needs to have a boatload of bays, accept SATA drives, and be available for purchase as just a shell (no installed drives, but whatever trays I might need).

And I don't want to be forced into RAID.

6. VoR macrumors 6502a

You could use an old pc and oss software like freenas/openfiler etc - or any os :)

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190