whats the consensus on how to preserve battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ap31001, Apr 26, 2015.

1. ap31001 macrumors newbie

so I've read a lot of conflicting reports about how to properly preserve the battery....should i have it plugged in all day as much as i can to save cycles ? also what about when I'm not using the macbook should i keep it plugged in also while it is sleeping?

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Keep it plugged in as much as you can when using it but I'm not sure about whether to keep plugged in when it's off or not. I unplug when off but wait for others to chime in.

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

For Macbooks, you can keep it plugged in as much as you like. Or not. The only recommendation that Apple make is that you should let your computer fully discharge at least once a month.

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Isn't it gonna last less if it keeps cycling?

5. vanimal macrumors 6502a

You take it down to like 15%-20%. Gives the battery exercise. Apple recommends this, i believe they tell you to take it down to under 10% when it tells you to save your work.

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

whats the consensus on how to preserve battery?

But like tilsbury said I've only seen them say discharge it one a month and I think it doesn't even have to go to 0 just let it cycle a total of once a month. I could be wrong.

7. vanimal macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't it let it go to 0. I would say around 10-15%%? I would think people hit that daily being on the road with it, at least knocking it down to 20%. Isn't that the whole point of a ultra portable? If someone bought a MBR and had it plugged in 95% of the time wouldn't that be pointless buying the most Ultra portable apple has? :p

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah probably I'm just telling OP what is best based on what I've read here over the years :p

9. tillsbury macrumors 65816

A 'cycle' is 100% of usage. Doesn't matter if that's ten days of topping up from 90 to 100, or one full cycle from zero. So it doesn't matter how you stagger your battery usage. If you use it plugged in all the time you'll hardly use any cycles at all.

The only thing they recommend is that you do run the battery right down as low as you can (to zero) so that all of the battery gets exercise at least once a month.

10. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

the batteries don't like to be at 0 or at 100% for long periods of time

11. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

That's what I've heard, and what Apple Geniuses have told me. It's been recommended to me to let it get to 20% or so if I don't use the battery much. Personally, I do. I go through at least 1 cycle a day. I'm on my notebooks a lot, and I hate being tied to a desk. It's not uncommon for me to go through an entire cycle before lunch if I'm in Photoshop a lot. I usually plug in at 25-30%.

Oddly enough, I'm down to 18% right now. Going to plug in and head to bed. Night, all.

12. lchlch macrumors 6502a

I would recommend to unplug the rMB when you are going to use it. And to charge before the laptop is conpletely dead.

Keeping the batteries at full capacity while working on the laptop, puts the battery at the worst possible condition. Because heat is most likely to degrade the battery, when it above 80%.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I have never recycled any of my Apple devices and the batteries last for years. I aways plug in if near power. If using on battery, I do not recharge unless it is less than 50%. I do use my laptop 4-5 times a week so it does not sit unused for long periods of time. For that I suggest putting it up with less than 80% but not less than 50%. Just my opinion:)

14. tillsbury macrumors 65816

No, they don't. If you're going to store your machine unused then you should leave it at 50% charge (read the Apple website again). But we're not talking about "long periods of time" here.

It's very simple. Use it how you prefer, plugged in or not. But make sure you fully discharge it at least once a month.