What's the coolest job you've ever had?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Jul 17, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Well I've been looking for a job for the past couple months and I've finally got another interview (first one didn't fit). I've been slacking and only apply every once in a while, although I've applied to tons of places. Retail stores, office places, and what not. One thing that has always interested me is hotels. I don't know why but I think they are cool, and would be a cool place to work at so I'm glad I got an interview. It's for a guests services position. So I guess it's like a bell boy. Has anyone worked this position or at the front desk?

Probably since my teens I've applied to hotels for a job but never got to an interview. My past jobs have all sucked, but I only usually work in the summer between semesters. Only job I remotely liked was a clothing store, but that was only because of friends. So what's the coolest, funnest job you've had (or still employed there)? Maybe some stories to go along.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Coolest job, but also the shortest and most harrowing:

Medical photographer.

After a few months I'd had enough.

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

My current job. I'm a graphic designer for an investment company. The coolest part is watching my boss make loads of money, he makes more hourly than I do the whole year. :cool:

4. fotografica macrumors 68040

I worked for John Paul Mitchell Systems for six years as an educator/trainer. I got to travel the country doing hair shows,seminars and trainings.Totally incredible experience. Nice break from my salon..The shows in Las Vegas were the best. Having showgirls and cocktail waitresses as models,made living out of a suitcase each weekend that much easier to take :D

5. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I worked for Honda Racing Formula One Team for over a year until I decided to return to university to complete an MSc.

That was great fun, but bloody hard work!

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Look what's happened to them now!:eek:

You should get back to them, they obviously need you!

7. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I used to flip burgers for Sonic. Though the job actually sucked, I learned what to eat and not to eat at "America's Drive-In"

I think teaching college level leadership, ethics and morales was the best job I ever had.

8. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

How about you fill us in. I think anything form fast food is pretty much bad for you.

9. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Yeah it did start to all go wrong after I left in September last year. I had better get on the phone to Nick Fry and offer my services!

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For work experience years ago I worked in a computer shop. It was a bit awesome. Highlights included-

-Transporting a laptop to a private pilot at Manchester airport. I didn't know my boss was friends with him and had a little flight planned. In a Learjet. They totally did that to show off to me :D
    -Fixing a virus infected computer of some Lord fellow with a giant stately home.
    -Downloaded the Duke Nukem forever trailer :D

11. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

12. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I don't get cool jobs. It sucks. Oh well, at least I am getting money.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

14. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm teaching high school. Since it makes me happy, it's all cool. :p :D

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I was a Qwip copy boy one summer for several NYC newspapers. A Qwip was a early fax-like machine. Would wait around after a game and Qwip the reporter's story to the their newspaper. Got to watch tons of games from h press box, eat free ballpark food and meet some players. Also paid $8 an hour in the late 70s.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hah, I dunno if you're serious or not. But a family member and an old lecturer of mine had some strange jobs kept shtum thanks to the Official Secrets Act.

18. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

He works for Apple :eek:

19. Platonist macrumors member

Platonist

The coolest job I've had is my current one: I am a grad student in a philosophy PhD program. I get paid to teach and research, and I love it.

20. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't know about coolest, but i worked at a golf course once. i got all the free golf and range balls i wanted. employee discount on clubs, too. the discount was so good i recently sold a three year-old putter for more than i paid.

21. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I used to be an aircraft pushback agent and marshaller (the orange wands). I loved it, and I could fly around the country for free (and the world for next to nothing).

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

23. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Photographer/Photography Assistant! Still doing it and loving it.

~Crawn

24. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I may have spoken with you then...

I keeed..I keeed:p