What's the current best USB Blu-ray drive for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AVR2, Apr 14, 2019.

1. AVR2 macrumors 6502

In 2014 I bought a Samsung SE-506 after a recommendation here. After years of sterling service it's showing signs of hardware failure, so it's time to replace. What's the current recommendation for a USB Blu-ray drive for Mac?

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Personally, I got the cheapest I could find, turned out to be a Samsung as well, and it's been serving me well. My logic is that getting the cheapest you can find, with something like this where the specification is relatively rigid, means that even if it fails and you need to replace it, you might still only end up paying as much as you would getting a more expensive one to start, and a new standard will come at some point anyway - not that the one I have now seems like it'll fail. Seems good quality, especially for the price. But frankly have no idea about model or anything; Just that it was the cheapest on Amazon and it says Samsung on it

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I have a Samsung "506" as well, it's still going (as it's used sparingly here).
    But... Samsung seems to be "out of the market" now.

If I needed a new BluRay drive, I'd be looking at what Pioneer has to offer.
    And... I'd get one with "M-DISC" capabilities, as well (adds little or nothing to the cost).

4. nutmac macrumors 601

Pioneer is widely recommended as the best for Macs.

They make 2 models, BDR-XD05 (available in $89 "S" silver and $99.99 "B" black models) and $119.99 BDR-XS06 slot loading model that looks similar to Apple SuperDrive. They are all functionally identical.

5. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

any differences when ripping blurays?

6. nutmac macrumors 601

They are supposed to be functionally and spec wise identical. I think the key difference, aside from design and price, is whether you prefer slot loading or top loading.