What's the deal with 4K video?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AFIS, Sep 17, 2015.

1. AFIS macrumors newbie

Two years ago I bought a Note 3, with the option of 4K video (sold it a few months later in favor of 5s). I remember back then a lot of people didn't get why a smartphone were able to film in 4K resolution. Skip two years ahead, and everyone is praising 4K as one of 6s best features. But what has changed the last few years?

I bet 99,99% of you doesn't have an 4K monitor/tv. These, including the 5K iMac, are still so expensive that most people can't afford it. The iPhone 6s doesn't even have a 4K screen, so you can't watch the your movies on your iPhone in full resolution. 4K videos take up TONS of space, and even your 128GB phone will fill up pretty fast. That goes for you cloud storage as well!
    I feel that the only reason Apple decided to add 4K, was to satisfy the "tech nerds" how's always craving the highest number of whatever spec, careless if they need it or not.

In my opinion, the only thing making 4K a smart move from Apple is "future proofing", most likely 4K will be the main resolution in screens in a few years. But then we also need more storage space in our phones and our clouds.

Is anyone here buying the 6s and keeping 4K on? If so, why?

2. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Yep! I have a 4K TV and you bet I'm going to start recording that way now. Everyone should be seriously thinking about recording in 4K. Just because you can't play it back now, doesn't mean you never will. 4K will eventually get cheap just like 1080p is right now.

3. noobinator macrumors 601

4k tvs (even though not much content yet) are starting to be really affordable. Another year or so we will be on to 8k. :D

4. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I just bought a new TV and was tempted to by a 4K TV but we're still a couple of years way from 4K being the industry standard. Nothing is broadcast in 4K currently (exception being Netflix). If you shoot 4K videos and don't have a 4K TV for playback then what good is 4K videos?

5. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I guess you can crop them while still maintaining good resolution.