What's the deal with a touchscreen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjiangweilan, Oct 30, 2016.

1. jjiangweilan macrumors 6502

jjiangweilan

I have heard a lot of people say they want a touchscreen on Mac.
    I'm recently a Surface pro user.

I think this touchscreen isn't really useful. First of all, I really don't want to use my fingers on this 2736x1824 screen, which decreases my efficiency. And surface pro is actually a tablet with a detachable keyboard so It makes sense when it's a "tablet". Cloud somebody offer me some opinions that a touch screen can be really useful on a laptop?

The reason I think I will love touch bar is because I can finally do most of the work without lifting my hands out of the keyboard to use the trackpad. I really hate how I need to click tabs, locate video progress and other things that require me to use the trackpad for accuracy click.

Myself is a programmer so I think this touch bar has a lot of potentials to increase people's efficiency.
    we will see when we hand on.

Please don't complain about the price here, I know it's goddamn expensive. Apple you really need to lower the price when you can use make these technologies cheaper. Just like Retina.

2. wegster macrumors 6502

A well-done convertible (think Spin 7 but more powerful, maybe latest Yogas, new Surface w/performance base) or removable tablet 'screen' could do well, but possibly not so much for devs unless you are also involved in UX and design, at which point quick markup via pen input would be pretty useful.

If you've ever tried to do a remote screen-sharing session with other devs on architecture, it might be useful.

It would be great for me when showing new mockups to the team, to customers, or given the ability to quickly add notes overlaid onto same - again, if done well.

That touchbar is only 60 pixels high, so not so sure it will be useful for 'accuracy' vs the bigger touchpad or external mouse, but it should be neat for those not using external keyboards.