Whats the deal with ATT's instant upgrade with iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adamvk, Dec 29, 2010.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

So I bought a Samsung Captivate this summer for $250. I could have gotten the iPhone 4 for cheaper. Big mistake. The captivate is a buggy piece of crap. If ATT wouldn't hate android so much and I had could get Froyo it would help a lot but alas I can't. Anyways....

I want to buy the 5th iPhone when it comes out, but I'm not due for an upgrade...however...someone told me that with the iPhone you get one opportunity to upgrade to the iPhone whenever you want, is this true?

Thanks!!!

2. Givmeabrek, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You can always upgrade at anytime. But if you're trying to ask at what price, you will have to wait for the release. :)

3. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

As far as I know... NO. Only way you can do what is called an early upgrade is if your going from a previous Gen iPhone to the most recent. I know this because I was looking at the aria when I had my 3GS as a phone to play with but I was told I would have to pay the full price as the iPhone is the only phone that you can early upgrade on. Even then the price is the amount of a subsidized iPhone plus $200.

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

5. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I bought my Captivate around August 1...as to price, I was told it's only $100 more or something like that so I could get the base iPhone 5 for $300

6. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Your price to get the base iPhone 5 will almost definitely be $500. Either someone lied to you or you are misunderstanding them.

Alternatives:

If your phone is a buggy POS, why don't you call at&t and tell them the phone is "defective"? They'll probably want to do some kind of warranty work or exchange. If the new one does the same, just keep hassling them. Eventually they MIGHT let you choose a different phone for the discounted upgrade price. Be nice to the reps or you'll probably get nothing.

Or, you could try selling your samsung to help finance the 500 price of the iPhone 5. Good luck with that though, I don't expect you'll have much success with that.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, early upgrades are $200 more than full upgrades. So base model would be $399.

8. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok. Do you know how often you get an early upgrade? Maybe this is what I was thinking of...if I can sell my Sammy for $200-300ish which I'm guessing I could, $100-200 wouldn't be bad...

Otherwise I'll try being nice to AT&T and see what I can do...plus my father used to work at AT&T corporate so I have some connections there potentially.

9. jacollins macrumors 6502a

10. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

Here is what I'm trying to tell you. Early upgrades of any kind are only iPhone to iPhone. You can not early upgrade from what ever you have to the iPhone 5, at the cheapest, be at least $500 so just sell you "Sammy" and save that up for the new iPhone or like others have said be nice to the reps. Also once you have an iPhone you can "early upgrade" to another iPhone as many times as you want.

11. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I don't understand this 'buggy piece of crap' thing. All reviews I've seen can't say enough nice things about the Captivate. A buddy of mine has one and can't be more pleased (and he used to have an iPhone).

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Sell your captivate to cover your iphoen 5 cost. Problem solved. It will be 399 dollars.

13. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Mine has many issues, maybe it's defective...maybe I should go to the ATT store...but anyways here are the problems I'm having with it:

1. It randomly turns off
    2. The screen randomly turns on
    3. Its slow and unresponsive at times
    4. I often have a glitch where I type on the keyboard, and nothing registers, and I have to go to the task manager and reopen the program to fix it.
    5. The camera is super slow and has problems focusing
    6. The WIFI has issues staying connected

14. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Your captivate is defective. Call ATT ASAP and let them know about it. I have one and it does non of those things.

15. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Would it be possible that some program is causing it? I know for a fact that LauncherPro, The Weather Channel, and my Lookout are constantly running.

16. gigemzach macrumors 6502

Well if you get your monthly bill high enough AT&T will give you upgrades every year instead of 2 years. In my opinion it is worth it especially if you end up paying the full price for the phones anyways. You might as well get additional features for your money.