Whats the Deal with Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by langis.elbasunu, Sep 28, 2007.

1. langis.elbasunu macrumors regular

langis.elbasunu

I just got my first MAC...its a MBP 2.2 and I am wondering about boot camp. Is this already on the computer and will be prompted when I insert XP install discs? Should I go with parallels instead or VMware? Dont really know much baout VMware but I know that I can switch between OSX and XP with parallels without a reboot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

BootCamp is not installed, you have to download it from Apple's site. All BootCamp does is create a new partition for you and a Windows driver CD. It will not automatically launch a Windows installed when you put a Windows CD/DVD in (I think the version included with Leopard will though).

VMWare and Parallels are the same type of product, it's just a matter of which you prefer. I bought VMWare, I liked the way it worked for me better than Parallels. I recommend using the demo of each one and seeing which works for your needs.

3. langis.elbasunu thread starter macrumors regular

langis.elbasunu

is this possible?

Can I set it up to boot XP from an external HD. I already have an external drive with XP and a lot of data and would love to just plug it in and have VMware do the rest.

4. langis.elbasunu thread starter macrumors regular

langis.elbasunu

5. Ebaneezer macrumors newbie

I have parallels running on my MacBookPro. I really wanted to play PC games but it does not support direct X or direct 3D. Does bootcamp support these? Is Parallels going to get a update that will support this?