What's the deal with FLAC in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by bollweevil, Jul 5, 2010.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

So it looks like iTunes has native support for .FLAC built in, but they have "hobbled" iTunes so that it is hard to add .FLAC files to the library. What is the deal? Are there any new developments?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nothing new on this front. You still have to convert FLAC to something iTunes will like.

3. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Isn't there a tool called "Fluke" that let's you play .FLAC files in iTunes? Are these actually still .FLAC files? Also, will the .FLAC files play on an iPod/iPhone? (It seems almost impossible that they would play on a mobile device.)

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes. http://code.google.com/p/flukeformac/

If you have an older iPod (5th generation and older) you can install something like RockBox on it which will natively play FLAC files.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

It is not hard to convert Flacl to Apple Lossless and nothing is lost in the process so why not simply convert them? Someday if ever you need the tracks in Flac format, convert them back.

6. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

I am extra super confused by the OK Go store (http://www.okgo.net/store/), because it says the following about the Flac version, and I quote, "plays in iTunes without conversion". This is just one of many sources that suggests iTunes can somehow or under some circumstances play Flacs without conversion and without Fluke. A number of sources suggest that iTunes can play Flac but cannot add them to the Library.

I don't understand.