Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CdnMacJen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
So when it was advertised, it sounded like an equivalent to BBM messaging, as in iPhone users could use this separate application to send free texts amongst themselves, whenever and wherever.

Now that I have my new 4S, there's no iMessage app, and from what I've read it sounds like it will only activate itself if both you and the person you are communicating with are using wifi? Have I got this right?

That sounds pretty useless to me, unless you are a pair of teenagers sitting in your bedrooms late at night texting back and forth, using the wifi in your home. Most of us text while on the go!

So far I'm disappointed! Tell me what I'm missing please...

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Why do people want a separate messaging app for iMessage?

First of all, it's all integrated in the Message app. Green bubble = Text, Blue bubble = iMessage.
If it detects that the other party is using iMessage, it'll use iMessage instead.

Second of all, you can send iMessage on 3G.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
iMessage to me is disappointing. It apparently fails to detect whether the other party has it turned off or not. As long as its an iDevice it will iMessage it regardless of whether it is turned off on the other iDevice or not. For example yesterday, my 4S had iMessage turned off but my sister's wasn't. She sent me a text message and it was automatically sent as an iMessage without the option of using regular sms which I never received with my iMessage off.:mad:

CdnMacJen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
RDW154: That's where I went, smarty pants. I am looking for people's first hand experiences with actually using it.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
iMessage to me is disappointing. It apparently fails to detect whether the other party has it turned off or not. As long as its an iDevice it will iMessage it regardless of whether it is turned off on the other iDevice or not. For example yesterday, my 4S had iMessage turned off but my sister's wasn't. She sent me a text message and it was automatically sent as an iMessage without the option of using regular sms which I never received with my iMessage off.:mad:

This brings up the question why would you turn off iMessage?

CdnMacJen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I've been texting with two iPhone users and only getting green bubbles....

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
This brings up the question why would you turn off iMessage?

because for some contacts I take down people's email. The emails associated with apple IDs will automatically receive iMessages instead of an SMS. This is annoying. For example, my nephew has an iPod Touch and I decide to text him. It will automatically select his email associated with an iCloud account for iMessage instead of sending the text to his non apple phone. If there is an option where I can select to text a person's phone or iMessage account then I'll keep the iMessage on but for now it doesn't fit my needs.

supervelous

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
So when it was advertised, it sounded like an equivalent to BBM messaging, as in iPhone users could use this separate application to send free texts amongst themselves, whenever and wherever.

Now that I have my new 4S, there's no iMessage app, and from what I've read it sounds like it will only activate itself if both you and the person you are communicating with are using wifi? Have I got this right?

That sounds pretty useless to me, unless you are a pair of teenagers sitting in your bedrooms late at night texting back and forth, using the wifi in your home. Most of us text while on the go!

So far I'm disappointed! Tell me what I'm missing please...

Actually, you've got it wrong.

You are right about there being no iMessage standalone app, it is integrated into the messages app. However, you do not need to be on wifi to use it, you just need to have a connection to the internet which includes your cell connection, which on an iphone, means pretty much anywhere.

Actually, if you are in a place with Wifi but no cell connection, you will still get your imessages so you could argue you'll get your imessages in more instances than your regular SMS.

What's also cool is when you go to text someone, ios does a check before you even send the message and if they have ios 5, the "Send" button turns blue and it will send as an imessage.

Yesterday I texted a friend to ask her if she upgraded to ios 5 yet, and I sent it and it went as an imessage so I knew without her answering.

To me this is even better than BBM. No need for a separate app, no need to give someone a pin, and it's integrated and automatically sends via imessage if available. And you can have it in settings that if the person doesn't have a data connection it will send as a regular text after 5 minutes.

It doesn't use your sms plan, so you can downgrade or eliminate that if you talk to people only on imessage. It does use your data plan, but only small amounts of data, nothing that would cause worry if you have a capped plan.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
Its nice if the people you text a lot have idevices.

My parents and a sister live in Canada, one sister in Spain and my wife have an iPhone. I never used to text family members because texts were 50 cents each in and out before. But now I text them all the time. Mms, txt international free. Works with me!

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
because for some contacts I take down people's email. The emails associated with apple IDs will automatically receive iMessages instead of an SMS. This is annoying. For example, my nephew has an iPod Touch and I decide to text him. It will automatically select his email associated with an iCloud account for iMessage instead of sending the text to his non apple phone. If there is an option where I can select to text a person's phone or iMessage account then I'll keep the iMessage on but for now it doesn't fit my needs.

Gotchya. Even if you type his phone number it'll still send it to his iPod Touch via iMessage?

That's not too smart :rolleyes:

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
Well then, if you prefer to be snarky and unhelpful, don't bother posting.

http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html
<--This is brief and unexplanatory, so I thought I'd ask. If you think I asked a stupid question, go have a nice day somewhere else.

Don't worry about trolls like the other guy. This forum is for people hanging out and asking for help with their questions. Also like another poster said the others you messaged might have not been on iOS 5

CdnMacJen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Actually, you've got it wrong.

You are right about there being no iMessage standalone app, it is integrated into the messages app. However, you do not need to be on wifi to use it, you just need to have a connection to the internet which includes your cell connection, which on an iphone, means pretty much anywhere.

Actually, if you are in a place with Wifi but no cell connection, you will still get your imessages so you could argue you'll get your imessages in more instances than your regular SMS.

What's also cool is when you go to text someone, ios does a check before you even send the message and if they have ios 5, the "Send" button turns blue and it will send as an imessage.

Yesterday I texted a friend to ask her if she upgraded to ios 5 yet, and I sent it and it went as an imessage so I knew without her answering.

To me this is even better than BBM. No need for a separate app, no need to give someone a pin, and it's integrated and automatically sends via imessage if available. And you can have it in settings that if the person doesn't have a data connection it will send as a regular text after 5 minutes.

It doesn't use your sms plan, so you can downgrade or eliminate that if you talk to people only on imessage. It does use your data plan, but only small amounts of data, nothing that would cause worry if you have a capped plan.

Thank you for explaining it so clearly, much appreciated! I will encourage those two friends to upgrade to IOS5!

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
(BTW, after I read the title, my mind had to imagine the OP talking like Jerry Seinfeld!)

I think the 'value' of iMessage also depends on how you use it.

If you have friends/family overseas, it is fantastic! It'll save you a ton on international text plans.

There is also value if you like to sync among your own personal devices.

I think the value is a bit more limited for standard iPhone users who are texting other iOS devices domestically. Unless all of your contacts use iOS devices, you'll likely still need a texting plan. And the US carriers have made it cost prohibitive to have anything but the unlimited plan.a

Other than seeing some messages in blue, it's not that big of a difference.

supervelous

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
(BTW, after I read the title, my mind had to imagine the OP talking like Jerry Seinfeld!)

I think the 'value' of iMessage also depends on how you use it.

If you have friends/family overseas, it is fantastic! It'll save you a ton on international text plans.

There is also value if you like to sync among your own personal devices.

I think the value is a bit more limited for standard iPhone users who are texting other iOS devices domestically. Unless all of your contacts use iOS devices, you'll likely still need a texting plan. And the US carriers have made it cost prohibitive to have anything but the unlimited plan.a

Other than seeing some messages in blue, it's not that big of a difference.

Great point of it being of limited value if you have unlimited texting.

I send and receive thousands of texts a month, but they were mainly with my girlfriend, and a couple good friends of mine. If it wasn't for a few people, I'd probably do 200-300 per month. As it stood, I had to pay AT&T $20/month for unlimited.

I was excited about imessage because the few people I talk to frequently via SMS all have iphones. However, AT&Fee eliminated all but the unlimited text plan and pay-per-text plan b/c they saw the writing on the wall. Under pay per text, only 100 texts = $20 of the unlimited plan, so not practical for me considering I do a couple hundred with my non-iphone friends.

AT&T pissed me off so much by eliminating all other plans (I'd have preferred to go on the $5, 250 sms plan) that I decided to go with an alternative, which is not perfect but worth the savings to me.

I made a Google Voice account, which gives you a number and you get unlimited free text messages. I made a list of the people I text with on a regular to semi-regular basis, then told all the non-iphone friends on the list I had a new phone number and to update their contacts. I linked my Google Voice # to ring my iphone, so I wasn't confusing people by telling them I had separate numbers for voice and text.

The only drawback, if you are not jailbroken, is you have to use the Google Voice app to send and receive your texts, but you can turn push on and still get the notifications, and when you click on them in notification center, it'll open the Google Voice app. Another drawback is you can't send or receive MMS with Google Voice. This was minor for me, as I very rarely send or receive MMS with the people with no iphones.

If you are jailbroken, there is an amazing app called SMS GV extension, which I use. It makes it so that your texts to you Google Voice number come in via the native messages app like a normal text! Also you can set it so that outgoing texts go from your Google Voice # as well! It's also smart enough, that if the other person has ios 5 it still sends via imessage and not via your GV number.

I cancelled my text plan, did the switch, and so far from 10/8 until today, I have used a total of 20 SMS via my regular #, but most were either me testing, or stragglers who used my old number by accident. Considering I sometimes use 5,000 texts per month, I can live with paying for 15-20 at $0.20 per message and save from the $20/mo unlimited plan.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
People keep talking about this as if it's a feature. How is a blue color a feature?

If it isn't an iMessage the send button is green. It is an easy way (for the non color blind) to tell which service will be used.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
What's also cool is when you go to text someone, ios does a check before you even send the message and if they have ios 5, the "Send" button turns blue

That is cool! I didn't know about the check. The people I text daily though I already know they're on iOS 5, but great to know that in general.

iMessage is great. I have cancelled my AT&T txt plan a long time ago and have a block on incoming / outgoing txts.

I don't see a reason to pay for txts personally. Before iMessage I used the google voice app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.