what's the deal with snow leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hopefulmacuser, May 27, 2009.

1. hopefulmacuser macrumors member

so im kinda noob with apple computers
    i keep reading stuff about snow leopard and like how it will probably be released this year

so my question is

what happens if we purchase a mac notebook before it is released and then it gets released like the next month
    do we have to purchase the new osx? so does that mean we should ideally just wait for the new thing to come out

=[ im kinda lost thanks!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Of course not. If they upgrade the OS it doesn't mean that you will get a free upgrade. You will have to buy a retail copy. :)

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

If you can wait until SL comes out, then just wait. If you need a Mac now, just buy it. You don't have to upgrade the day it comes out, but I don't know why you wouldn't want to. :D

I think the only time Apple gives free or cheap ($10) upgrades is when you purchase a Mac two weeks before a new version of OS X comes out.

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

More than likely, in less than two weeks when Apple has the big WWDC conference, they'll announce when Snow Leopard will be released. Then you'll know. :)

5. KBV1 macrumors regular

KBV1

has anyone seen snow leopard OS? Do you think there will be much of a difference between the current OS and SL? I'm just thinking now if i should wait for SL to come out or not to buy my first macbook:confused:

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Snow Leopard thread.

7. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Just wait a few weeks and we'll all know! :D

8. KBV1 macrumors regular

KBV1

I dunno if i can wait until Q3 for a macbook esp with this back to school offer which is on now. How much would it be to upgrade to SL when it comes out?

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

New Apple OS's have traditionally sold for $129. No reason to believe it will be any different with Snow Leopard.

10. KBV1 macrumors regular

KBV1

with apple OS updates are they like windows.. where if you want to update you have stick loads of new ram, a bigger HDD & faster processor.. basically a new pc just to run it as im looking at the macbook 2.0 and upgrading the ram and HDD myself?

11. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Most certainly not!

I'm running Leopard on a 5 year old iBook with a 1.3GHz PowerPC CPU and it runs really well. I'm also running it on a 2.4GHz iMac from 2007 and it runs equally well. I'd say as a rule of thumb you will be able to run the latest OS (whatever it may be) on anything up to 5 year old hardware. In some cases it will be more in very few it might be less but that would be my guidance.

Of course, extra RAM always helps and might give your machine an extra lease of life which would complement the OS upgrade. Likewise the larger hard drive - you might choose to fit a larger drive to act partly as a backup of your outgoing OS and partly to extend the lifespan of your machine. The key difference to windows is that these upgrades or the absence of them won't make or break the OS upgrade in the same way as, say, upgrading a 3 year old laptop to Vista might.

I hope this helps,
    Craig.

12. KBV1 macrumors regular

KBV1

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Keep in mind that Snow Leopard will likely only run on Intel Macs. It has not been confirmed however.

14. RoninXI macrumors regular

From everything I read dropping PPC support is the entire point. With less mess(same thing with Tiger vs universal Tiger) you reduce the time to load and space used. The two selling points used so far but we know Apple and their surprises there may be more, I just don't believe more is PPC support since it is not in the Dev copies.

15. drrich2 macrumors member

I think there's hope that once Snow Leopard is announced, perhaps there'll be a program that people buying from such & such a date onward will qualify for a free upgrade when it is released. I don't recall the history of Apple with this, but I've seen it done with Windows PCs before (when Vista was due out soon).

Waiting for WWDC in case of just such an announcement seems judicious.

Richard.