Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
I notice that IIsi Macs are listed everywhere for such high prices. Has this Mac become a larger collector's item now? (and why?). I realize that this Mac was more or less high-end at the time, and maybe it was cherished for being great, but I'm wondering why the heck the lowest price I see it on eBay for is $100.

It's saddening... Someone I know was going to give me his IIsi, complete with monitor, keyboard, and mouse. (original owner). I never got around to being able to pick it up :( He has three of them.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
It was the one of the new "low-cost trio" of machines Apple introduced to compete with the quickly dropping prices of PC clone machines...

Maybe collectors are trying to secure all three?

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
It was the one of the new "low-cost trio" of machines Apple introduced to compete with the quickly dropping prices of PC clone machines...

Maybe collectors are trying to secure all three?

YouTube: video

Good point. Well, I have a Classic II, and may be getting an LC from someone soon. If only I could get this IIsi!

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
I attended a day long introduction of the Classic, LC and IIsi. Still have several of the "press kits" from that day. The biggest deal about that was that at the end of the next year, it was determined that if the marketing budget were divided by the machines sold when those three were introduced, it was about $850 for each Mac sold.

They blew a ton of loot on marketing in that era.

Part of the deal was how some small town was one of the seeding sites, where school, business and home use was part of the feedback testing with units distributed in all these areas.

This kind of thing would not work in this era at all, as pretty much the first thing someone does with a computer is head to a web site, and they'd likely post a picture of this thing .. 'what is this that I'm using' .. ;-)

QuickDraw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009
The IIsi was a great little work horse for typing. I paired it back then with a 15inch portrait BW monitor. I don't think the LC was able to handle the portrait resolution. It was not nearly as fast as the sexy IIci though... sorry for rambling, memory lane... thanks for the post :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I feel like collectible Mac prices are a bit inflated, but maybe that's because I remember how cheap they were in the 90s. Most Mac II series machines on ebay start at over $100 anymore. The compact Macs are the ones accelerating in value the most though. The IIsi was a pretty middle of the road machine at best, so it's a bit surprising that prices are quite so high.

The problem is, most of these machines' logic boards will start failing due to leaking electrolytic capacitors, so even if you buy a working vintage Mac on ebay its only a matter of time before it needs to be recapped. Maybe once that realization sinks in prices will drop a bit. Old computers are more fragile than many people realize.

Vintage computers are really starting to gain in value in general. Look at what PC XTs and ATs are going for these days, not to mention Apple II-series computers - those used to be almost worthless and not a decent working system can cost hundreds by the time you get a computer, display, a couple floppy drives, software and maybe a peripheral or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.