Whats the delay? Airtunes??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Thebugeyes, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Thebugeyes macrumors newbie

If streaming to two Airport expresses using airtunes and also playing music through local speakers is there a delay?? or are all three locations in sync?

I read there was an 8 second delay using airtunes? if so that implies the local speakers would be out of sync. is this ccorrect?

Thanks in advance for any help.. :apple:

2. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I don't think they are out of sync, I have used AirTunes before, and what I found the delay was, was the Computer pairing or connecting to the AirTunes and sending the information to the AirPort express.

I check all the Wireless speakers I want to play through, then select the song and hit enter. Let it pair for probably 4-6 seconds, and then it is on its way and playing the music.

For me, it never sounded "out of sync".

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

there is a buffer time, which is probably the "8 second" number you heard somewhere. But iTunes takes that into account when playing the music locally, so the local audio is the same as the remote. the playback time on iTunes is also correct.

sometimes when stopping the music, it will play for a couple of additional seconds out of the express, that don't come out of the local speakers.

i frequently use 2 expresses with iTunes that i have on the mini hooked to my stereo. never had a sync problem. have music in the living room, kitchen, and bedroom all in sync.

4. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

i have two expresses with 3 sets of speakers.

1 set on my main computer
    and 2 in separate rooms.

all play at the same time and speed, sync fine and itunes buffers all the speakers/expresses to make sure there is a proper signal.

its not going to send it to the computer speaker first or one or all of the other expresses first...its a straight full signal all at once.

ive never had a sync issue before and all mystuff is wireless; the itunes library (connected to the AEBSn), the 2 remote speakers and an ipod touch controlling it.

hope thats informal in some way ;)

5. Thebugeyes thread starter macrumors newbie

Going to cost me money..

Thanks for all your replies.... I can see myself spending some money tomorrow...

2 Expresses and An I Touch to control it...:D

6. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

congrats, it should go smoothly.

when you get the ipod touch, you want to get the Free Remote App from the App Store.

then you open iTunes on your computer, enter the numbers from the remote into itunes to pair them basically and youll be set.

one thing of note, is that your computer & itunes has to be running when using the remote to control (as far as im aware of,,,since thats the way it seems to work for me)

7. Clocker14 macrumors newbie

I beg to differ

I was just sitting in my living room and had the speakers on each my Apple TV, computer, and Airport Express (all in the same room) and none of them were synced up! :mad:

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this because each is around half a second off from each other??