what's the diff between "certified compatible" and regular 1066 DDR3 ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thetrystero, Jun 23, 2009.

1. thetrystero macrumors member

Corsair "CT" series (certified) vs. "CM" series (regular)
    Kingston "KTA" series (certified) vs. "KVR" series (regular)

I can't find any vendor that carries the certified Mac compatible series where I'm from (and shipping from the US will wipe out any savings vs online apple store). Has anyone tried using the Kingston KVR1066D3S7 with their uMBP?

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

The difference is probably only the price. Regular RAM will work just fine, and it won't void the warranty or anything.

3. thetrystero thread starter macrumors member

i did a more thorough search, and apparently, the results vary. (see here for example: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2293906).
    apparently, the kvr's are bad for the mac so i went ahead and had apple install the stock rams. cost me about $30 more vs kingston -- cheap for peace of mind if you ask me.

4. MADMAXX macrumors member

Bollox are KVR bad for a mac. I have ran KVR for 6 years in macs without issue.

Marketing mate.

Nothing more.

5. thetrystero thread starter macrumors member

bollox? from the old world i see:D

as i mentioned, results vary. maybe you got lucky, but there're others out there for whom it didn't work. it would've been helpful if you'd posted your system setup so as to add to the knowledge base.
    but i guess you're too busy flaming people with your generalities to care.

6. gorjan macrumors 6502

There's no reason why there should be a difference. They're all standard compatible parts. The only reason is to push more money out of you. I have allways run on standard RAM and I've never had a problem.

7. Chilz0r macrumors regular

I feel sorry for you. Marketing drones got the better of you.