What's the diff between pinned and favorites bar?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by DotCom2, Oct 7, 2015.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

I haven't installed El Cap yet but I was just wondering what this "pinned" web sites is all about in Safari. I currently have a favorites bar that works just fine for my needs so what is the difference of having a "pinned" tab?

2. oneshotpro Suspended

it stays opened to the page you were on, versus clicking a bookmark link goes back to the original link.

3. stevemiller macrumors 65816

so far the main difference i can find from a bookmark is that it doesn't launch a tab, but simply is an always open tab on the domain you've pinned, and retains the exact page you visited on that domain. if you type in a new url, it auto creates a new tab so you don't lose your spot.

my biggest grievance is that it creates single letter icons for many sites, and after more than a couple, its no longer meaningful iconography.

4. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Apple could have made this right if they introduced favicons to the pinned tabs but instead they wanted to keep it bleak and grey

5. kryten42 macrumors 6502

kryten42

I get favicons when I pin, certainly some sites. e.g. if I pin Twitter I have the bird icon not a "T" and if I pin MacRumors then I get the logo.

6. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030