Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roadking714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
What benefits do you get from having the nvidia graphics card compared to other 15 mbp without nividia is there much of a difference?

Roadking714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
Basics Web, music software, photo editing, maybe some small video editing for youtube

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Nothing then

Basics Web, music software, photo editing, maybe some small video editing for youtube

You can do that on an iPad.

You will get no benefit from the dGPU unless you use CUDA accelerated software or play games (preferably under windows).

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
That basically means you don't need the nvidia GPU. You could have two notebooks and wouldn't be able to tell the difference using them like that.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
What benefits do you get from having the nvidia graphics card compared to other 15 mbp without nividia is there much of a difference?

Not much of a difference if you don't game or use CUDA-accelerated software.

Besides, you can always add in your own eGPU via TB2 (bloody expensive though). I added a GTX 780 Ti in a Sonnet IIID via TB2, connected to my rMBP, and get 85-90% of the card's full performance.

Roadking714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
Not much of a difference if you don't game or use CUDA-accelerated software.

Besides, you can always add in your own eGPU via TB2 (bloody expensive though). I added a GTX 780 Ti in a Sonnet IIID via TB2, connected to my rMBP, and get 85-90% of the card's full performance.

So I can add a video card later?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.