What's the difference between a AGP and GigE PM G4s?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by catzilla, Nov 7, 2014.

1. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I saw a very clean 400Mz model at a thrift store, it had an ADC/VGA Rage card which leads me to believe it is a GigE. No HD, sleds were all there, Zip drive, and rainbowish power cord. 2 sticks of ram. I didn't try to boot it, couldn't find a compatable monitor. $35, but I resisted.

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

If it has an ADC card(and the appropriate power contacts on the board for it), as well as 4 ram slots and 3 PCI slots it's a Gigabit Ethernet.

If it has the ADC card, but 3 RAM slots and 4 PCI slots, it's a Digital Audio.

If it has 4 RAM slots, 3 PCI slots, an AGP slot, but no support for ADC it's a Sawtooth.

I'd probably grab it for $35, but then I'm sucker for this age PowerMac.

3. repentix macrumors regular

That doesn't seem like too good of a deal there, 2 sticks of ram => possibly 512mb ram?, no HDD I would pass on it myself considering its a 400mHz model!
    In regard to "testing it", if a mac bongs it's going to be working alright most of the time.

4. catzilla thread starter macrumors 6502

catzilla

Well it has 4 ram slots and ADC, so it must be GigE. I resisted, but it was so pristine.....

5. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I have that model GigE and it's a fun little machine. I can't believe how much it can still do, it even plays video well. I got mine out of a garbage bin, lol.

6. catzilla thread starter macrumors 6502

catzilla

I went back and it was gone. I had talked myself into getting it....

7. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Shoot. Well you can normally find one cheap or free when they do pop up. Nobody realizes they can still do a lot of stuff very well, they just think they're old and slow, which to some extent they are but they're also cool old beasts.

Take a look at Everymac.com's Power Mac page, it's the easiest way to get an idea of what specs each had, what can be upgraded, etc. if you do run into something again. http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/index-powermac-g4.html

Best wishes.

8. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Hehe, depends on what kind of video ;)

...(and partly on the player and the graphics card).

Aren't they going for arround 20,- on Ebay all the time?