What's the difference between a userland jailbreak and...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by str0ppy, Jul 21, 2010.

1. str0ppy macrumors member

...a bootrom (?) jailbreak?

I'm not sure if it's called a bootrom jailbreak, but if it isn't then I mean the other type which isn't userland.

Can anyone clarify the difference between the two?

My understanding is that with a userland jb even updating iTunes might kill your jailbreak, whearas with Redsn0w, it won't. Surely Redsn0w type jailbreaks are more reliable?

Is there any difference in the overall performance of a jailbroken phone depending on the type of jailbreak used?

As you can probably tell I don't know a great deal about this, but if anyone can help me understand this a bit better I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. anthdci macrumors 6502

the difference is the level of jailbreak. The bootrom exploit is the lowest level and the only way apple can "fix" this is by releasing new hardware, ie like they did with the later 3GS. The userland jailbreak is much higher up, in the OS itself, so apple can easily "fix" this with a software update.

3. str0ppy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. So surely it's preferential to use a bootrom exploit?

One of the reasons I am asking is that the new Comex jailbreak, whenever that comes out will be userland, but Redsn0w is already available as a beta. I'm wondering if there are any reasons to hold out until the new Dev-Team JB or just use the beta.

Will there be any noticeable difference between the two other than Apple being able to break it more easily?

4. Gxray macrumors member

What phone are you using? If it's anything other then an iphone 4 or 3gs w/newer bootrom, then theres no reason you should be waiting. Just jailbreak with redsn0w and go.

Theres no difference between the 2 at the user level, just stuff that goes on behind the scenes. Neither is preferential to a user. And as long as you don't randomly update your phone everytime you plug it into itunes and it says theres a new update available, you'll be fine with any jailbreak.

5. anthdci macrumors 6502

There is no different to you. If you have a 3G or early bootrom 3GS you can use redsn0w. If you have a later 3GS or 4, apple closed the exploit redsn0w uses so you will have to wait for the new spirit jailbreak from comex.

Bootrom exploits are better because (i think this is right not 100%) it means the device is pwned for life, meaning as soon as apple release updated software it is very easy to update the jailbreak. But they are harder to get.

At least that is my basic understanding of it.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Of course, if you have one. It's not like the Dev-Team is being lazy by releasing a userland jailbreak. Bootrom exploits are few and far between, and a userland jailbreak is better than nothing.

7. str0ppy thread starter macrumors member

Brilliant. Thanks for your help everyone.

I wonder if Redsn0w will remain a beta forever?

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The latest beta of Redsn0w is perfectly functional. If you've got a 3G, there's no reason not to use it now.