whats the difference between Data Roaming Off and Airplane mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by herodian, Jun 26, 2008.

1. herodian macrumors member

does DRO leave the wifi 'enabled' but won't contact cellular networks?

i would like to use mine in the EU, even if just for net, but I don't want 3 months worth of £75 bills again, not when it should be £45.....

2. airlights macrumors regular

I am guessing that Date Roaming will allow you to use WiFi when ever need, but Airplane mode, you can basically use only the iPod, Calendar etc functions

3. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

My understanding is:

Airplane Mode - turns off ALL the radios on the iPhone.... so, No Bluetooth, no Wifi, no 3G, no Phone. Basically, you have an ipod/PDA and that's it.

Data roaming mode - turning that off means that if you are roaming and get out of your carrier's coverage and get switched over to another carrier, you won't connect to their data service (so you don't run up per KB charges using a 3rd party's service.) This is probably more important in the EU and other countries than in the US.

4. herodian thread starter macrumors member

this is what i thought, but, Telefonica / 02 are not in my destination. so in theory then, i should be able to use wifi, but not use any 'data' unless i connect to t-mobNL or whatever it was last time.

infact... what is the best network t connect to if from the UK and going to the NL's?

5. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

You don't really get a choice. When you go from the UK to NL your phone will automatically lock onto the right 'partner' network and you'll get a text welcoming you to the country and (normally) some notice of the voice roaming rates (which are capped by the EU these days so aren't half as extortionate as they used to be).

Of course it's still way cheaper to take an unlocked phone with you and put in a local SIM if you're going to use it. Not an option with the iphone though (at least not an unhacked one).

6. herodian thread starter macrumors member

you don't? i'm sure i remember looking through the settings and having options to change carriers but if it automatically 'locks on' as you say... well, why am i surprised it wouldn't? :D

thats sorted then.

thanks. please lock / delete.