What's the difference between different burning programs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ebonics, Sep 26, 2008.

1. ebonics macrumors member

What's the difference between DVDremaster, DVD2OneX, Popcorn, Roxio Toast?
    Do they do different things, or are they all different applications with the same capabilities?
    If their different, what are the difference?
    If their the same, what one do you reccomend?
    Sorry about this, I'm pretty clueless.
    Also, is Handbrake a different thing from these programs?
    Thanks in advance.

2. ebonics thread starter macrumors member

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You might try Googling each one and visiting their websites to see a description of the features of each. Also try searching the forums on each, to see what others have said about them and/or other burning programs, such as these threads.

4. ebonics thread starter macrumors member

5. ebonics thread starter macrumors member

Okay I've read a bit more and it's starting to make sense, but I still have a few questions if someone could answer them.
    1. If I have Popcorn, do I need handbrake to make video's for my ipod from a DVD?
    2. Does Toast do what DVD2OneX does (compress movies to be able to fit onto a 4.7 GB DVD) as well as burning movies to DVD's that can play on commercial DVD players? If so, if I get toast do I still need DVD2OneX?

thanks in advance.

6. P Mentior macrumors regular

I use toast and it does compress double layer movies to fit on a single layer disk. So far, all the movies I've done this to work on standard DVD players. As to your question about Popcorn, I can't say since I've never used that program.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

handbrake encodes dvds to files. you can encode them for the ipod if you wanted

toast is a burning program. you can burn anything to a disk with toast. however for dvds they usually have to compress the data. why? becasue most movies are dl dvds and most people get the single layer dvds to burn so toast must compress it to fit

what i do to get movies on my ipod is this

1)handbrake: i use this to get a file that i can enjoy watching on my computer so it tends to be higher quality
    2) visual hub or the free version with less capabilities, isquint: i use these to take the file ive encoded in handbrake to make it compatible with whatever device i want to see the movie on

i use toast as my burning app, nothing really to do with movies unless you want to make the movies you made with handbrake playable in a standalone conventional dvd player

8. ebonics thread starter macrumors member