What's the difference between FCE 4 and FCE HD?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JamesDV, Feb 25, 2009.

1. JamesDV macrumors newbie

I know that FCE HD is FCE 3.5, but from what I've heard FCE 4 has had half of livetype removed and no soundtrack app (how does FCE 4 create audio)? So is FCE HD actually better than FCE 4?

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

It seems to me the differences are few. I never bothered to upgrade myself. To me it seemed if there was a specific feature you needed, you wanted to upgrade. The biggest feature changes I found on FCE 4 was the new fxplug architecture, AVCHD support and "open format" timeline ( whatever that is )

One can assume there are big fixes and faster performance for x86 systems as well since FCE4 is based on FCP 5.5 I think

Audio for FCP 4 is with the internal audio editor, which is actually much better than Soundtrack for doing sound editing IMHO ( some people may disagree, but audio key frames is way crappier in Soundtrack )

If you want to so *music* production, Soundtrack is definitely better, since there is no support for this in FCE.

The reason they dropped Sountrack, I believe, was that for people at the Final Cut Express level of Super Hobbiest/Pro-ish-sumer, Garage band is a better solution. I've never used it myself.

Charles

3. JamesDV thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't hugely mind about the audio. But what happened with LiveType? Also what do you mean by "fxplug architecture"? And does anybody know what an open format timeline is?

Thanks.

4. JamesDV thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone provide an answer to the questions in my previous post?
    It's important that I find out soon.

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

I believe LiveType is still there, but does not include the "extras" DVD, which is a shame because there's a ton of content on there.

fxplug architecture is the filter plugin model that Final Cut Pro switched over to in FCP 5.x. It supposedly makes much better use of your video card when applying filters, but most importantly nearly every 3rd party plugin you might buy now days requires it. So basically for you, this means you can use ( almost ) any filters intended for Final Cut Pro.

Open timeline I believe is the catch phrase for an XML based file format, so you can exchange date more easily. Exchange between what and what, I don't know, but my thought is in this case, if you don't know... you don't need it. ( I certainly don't )

Hope this helps!

EDIT: oh I forgot to mention, I recall that if you already own 3.5, you won't lose existing functionality in Livetype or Soundtrack, so it is possible to have the best of both worlds.

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Actually, that is not what open timeline is. Open timeline allows you have video clips with differing codecs on the same timeline.

7. huntercr macrumors 65816

Cool. Thanks for clarifying. I never even knew this was a limitation.. I've always just used DV and still pictures