What's the difference between iCloud Photo Library and Photo Stream?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by applewraith, Apr 12, 2015.

1. applewraith macrumors newbie

Seems like the two have overlapping functions, what's the difference?

Is iCloud Photo Library meant to replace Photo Stream in the future, or are they supposed to coexist?

2. applewraith thread starter macrumors newbie

3. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Thanks for the link, been reading a lot and now learning--:)

4. rugmankc, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I have been reading up on Albums/Folders. I can use WonderShare to put Camera Roll pics where I want on my iPhone as in which folders to put them in. Folders I created in iPhoto with pics I dragged to iphoto.

I saw I can now drag pics into Photos Library and have them show up, albeit with some delays to Photos OS X and iCloud Photo Library.

So, on my iPhone i have all these Albums from iPhoto put there from other camera pics over the years. I had an iMac for several years before getting my iPhone 6+ and rMBP.

I Like Photos OS X and see how i can add Albums/Folders and organize how I want. To some degree anyway. Still a lot to read.

My Photos OS X and iCloud Photos mimic my iPhone.

What happens to my Photo/Folder Structure on my iPhone when i turn on iCloud Photo Library on my iPhone?

1. Will my Photo Library on rMBP and iCloud remain the same.

2. What will change on my iPhone Photos.

a. Mimic the rMBP?

b. Have no more folder structure like is currently there. I now have Folders/Albums for 2004 thru 2014 of Landscaping pics. They are currently on the rMBP and iCloud same as iPhone.

3. I currently don't have 5gb of my limit used. If I add videos I will.

a. Do videos get auto uploaded, or is there an option to not upload videos, and continue to use the Video App.

The way I am currently doing things not sure I need to turn oniCloud Photo library on iPhone. One reason I see though, is I added photos to Photos Library on rMBP, but they never went to icloud. Was the initial upload to iCloud I got when updating to 8.3 all that uploads till I turn on iPhoto Library on iPhone.

Lots of questions, sorry. Still reading--:)

5. FloridaGary macrumors regular