What's the difference between macbook pro 13" and macbook 13" aluminum

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jonb09, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Jonb09 macrumors newbie

Jonb09

I've noticed that they have taken of the Macbook 13" Aluminum from the apple website already (My Macbook) and now the only 'Macbook' you can get is the old White one. But there are new Macbook Pros and one of them is 13" and looks just like mine but with Pro on it anyone know what differences there are? If any? :confused:

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Where have you been since last Monday (WWDC keynote)? All aluminum MacBooks are now labelled "Pro," as you discovered, and the white one is the only MacBook left. The new one adds FireWire back, and an SD card slot, as well as the integrated battery, standard backlit keyboard, slightly bumped specs, and, perhaps most notably, a downgraded SATA (hard drive) interface, from 3.0Gbit to 1.5Gbit speeds.
    The biggest difference is that "Pro" is now glued on after the MacBook.
    Edit- ah yes, the screen too. I'm going to report this thread as it's not in the right forum.

3. mrj205 macrumors regular

I'm guessing under a rock. To add, the screen quality on the 13" MBP is far greater than that of the 13" uMB. Also the base specs for processor, HDD, and RAM were increased slightly. To note, the SATA interface speed is only an issue for those who have a SSD or plan to upgrade to one. But still a pretty crappy downgrade on Apple's part.

4. Jonb09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jonb09

OK.... Sounds interesting. No to bothered though the only thing i wouldnt mind is the liht up keyboard but beggars cant be choosers i love my macbook anyway and now its RARE =D lmao

BTW Crystal Castles! ;)

5. Jonb09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jonb09

"a downgraded SATA (hard drive) interface, from 3.0Gbit to 1.5Gbit speeds."

Is that a good thing or a bad thing??

6. .product macrumors member

In general, that's a bad thing, but in real life performance you may not really notice a difference (except when doing hard drive intensive tasks, like moving large files or repairing permissions).

7. hamish5178 macrumors member

I thought it ONLY mattered if you used a SSD?

Also, people keep talking about the upgraded screens on the 13"MBPs, but the the uMBs have had those for a bit now (I had one).

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Has a "downgrade" even been a good thing? :confused:
    The UMBP 13.3" has even nicer screens now than the updated UMB screens from March-May '09 production.

9. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

I wouldn't call it the "biggest difference". If anything, it's a fairly minor difference.

10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

That's my understanding, a mechanical HDD is not capable of overloading the SATA 1.5

11. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

It's good to see someone not convinced that their computer was made worthless by the gluing of 3 letters to the case.
    Nice catch ;)
    Depends on who you ask.
    I believe this is right, and, while this downgrade begs the question of why Apple had it at 3.0 in the first place, I don't see the average end user affected. Sure, you can tell them about the speed of SSD, but when they look at the cost and size, compared to an HDD, they quickly lost interest in SSD's speed improvements.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Vista to XP. :p

BOOM, gotcha there!