What's the difference between Macbook Pro from 07 and 08?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SoulReal, Jul 7, 2008.

1. SoulReal macrumors newbie

I am buying a Macbook Pro and I found that the 2007 edition is much cheaper. I could not figure out what the differences were other than processor speed, both of which are good. Can anybody help me understand this? Thanks.

2. doobi18 macrumors 6502

slight speed bump. and stress on "slight". that is all.

3. Cymbal macrumors newbie

The 2008 MacBook Pro's also have the multi-touch trackpad, as well as larger hard drive sizes and the Penryn processors.

4. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

If you found a good deal on the last gen one... I say grab it! Awesome machines since Santa Rosa, all are pretty cool (temp) and very fast! Unless you really love the multi-touch trackpad or need the little bit of extra speed, which most of us honestly don't, then go for it!

5. SoulReal thread starter macrumors newbie

I bid on and won a 2.2 g macbook pro on ebay for $1,400. Not sure if that is a really good deal but what is done is done. I guess I could always resale it and hope I get my money back. Any thoughts if that is a good deal.

Thanks for all the feedback. It does seem to be a better deal to go with the 2.2g

6. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

assuming its in good shape thats a great deal! Congrats! $600 off the new price! Hope you enjoy it!

7. drossad macrumors regular

As the previous people said, the only differences are slight power bumps with the Penryn chip, multi-touch trackpad, bigger hard drives. I just bought the last generation MBP 2.4 GHz brand new on clearance a month ago with an education discount for $1699. (Originally $2500) I love it! Could've paid $1799 for a current one, but I only had a limited amount of money and so I figured i'd spend the extra $100 bucks to boost my RAM to 4GB.

I'd say you got a great deal if it's in good shape. Way to be!

8. doobi18 macrumors 6502

touché

9. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I also just bought a 2007 Santa Rosa for £800 with 2 years warranty.

Differences are smaller harddrive, a 128mb graphics card rather than 256mb, no multitouch trackpad and also it might come with Tiger.

Still, for an effective 35% discount I think I did good.