What's the difference between my "Old" MacBook 13-inch the "New"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bzen, Apr 15, 2010.

1. bzen macrumors member

To All,

I had decided to buy a new 13-inch MacBook Pro after the release of the new models this week. Yet, when I went online today to purchase, there seems to be very little difference between my MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) and the new one (the lower end model).

My current (13-inch Aluminum) MacBook: 2.4 GHz, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 250 Harddrive.

Now, I could just be missing something, but isn't this exactly the same as the "new" models? Is there something different that would make it worth purchasing a new one?

Also, the upgrade to the faster processor hardly seems worth the extra $$, though perhaps I'm wrong??

Thanks muchly,

Bz

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The integrated GPU has been upgraded to the Geforce 320M; it is up to 80% faster [than the 9400M] according to Apple.

3. iTattoo macrumors regular

iTattoo

Battery Life

The battery life is about twice as long as your current machine if that's a consideration for you.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes that's been claimed as well; I forgot about that.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

6. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

And Domino's says their pizzas with the new cheese tastes much better.

I always believe what the salesman says :rolleyes:

7. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

You get sound over the minidisplayport now with the new 13" not the old one, useful if you connect it with a hdmi cable to tv or receiver. And a better touchpad. It's not that different in regular use, the 9400M also had good enough graphics performance. Firewireport. The only major sale point is battery life as I see it.

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've got that rare Aluminum Macbook as well.

• Better display quality
    • Firewire 800
    • SD card slot
    • battery runs longer on charge and has longer life (estimated 3 years)
    • Incremental improvements in CPU speed, disk capacity, maximum RAM, graphics speed
    • Low end now has backlit keyboard
    • audio goes out the mini-Displayport connector
    • It's now called a "Pro".
    • You lose the separate audio in and out jacks

9. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Me too. Guess they're not all that rare. :rolleyes:

I can't say that I really miss Firewire or the SD card slot, and I already have 2.4GHz and a backlit keyboard. The extra battery life would probably be the biggest advantage I see, but not enough of an advantage to make a switch.

If graphics were an issue for me I suppose the new graphics chip might be worthwhile, but I'm happy with the 9400M. In fact I would rather have seen Apple upgrade the cpu to Arrandale and stick with Intel's integrated graphics.

10. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Going with Intel's integrated graphics would be a down-grade from the last generation, Apple either stay still or inch forward, they don't (usually) go backwards. There's a reason the low-end 15" is no longer integrated-only, simply because the Intel HD is not good enough, and needs to be backed up by something dedicated.

If Intel weren't having their little spat with Nvidia this update could have seen both an i5 (or i3) and the new Nvidia chip in the 13". But such is the way of business.

11. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Oh I know that. I'm just saying that for me personally, it wouldn't have been my preference.

I don't think there is space on the 13" logic board given the 2-die nature of Arrandale, but that's a matter of debate.

12. bzen thread starter macrumors member

Well gosh! Thanks for all the advice and information!!

I am surprised what little difference there is between the two. It does seem to me like the 13" has been left to only "wear" the pro label, while the 15 and 17 got actually "got" all the goods.

Does anyone think paying more for the faster processor in the 13" makes any sense?

Also, I upgraded the HD in my current aluminum MacBook, any chance I can stick that harddrive in the new 13" MBP. It's a nice snappy drive and I'd like to keep it. Basically, I guess I'm asking, if it fit in the old Late 2008 MB Aluminum, will it fit in the new MBP?

with appreciation,

Bz

13. latapi macrumors newbie

Hello, this is my first post here:).
    So I was also planning to buy the 13" MPB and I was excitedly waiting for the upgrade. When I went to check the new specs I saw only a few things were changed like bzen said. Do you think I should wait? I know It'd be long, but some people have told me Apple may soon upgrade the 13" MPB just like the 15" and 17" beacause they had some supply issues.

Oh, and just to clarify, I don't own a Macbook

14. Psychmike macrumors regular

Weight

I have the aluminum Macbook as well. I believe the weight is listed at 4.5 pounds while the weight of the new model is 5.6 pounds. Given the increase in battery life, it seems like a lot of that weight is likely battery!

Mike

15. dave2qj macrumors newbie

If you mean the 13" then it is still 4.5 pounds. You may be thinking of the 15" which is 5.6 pounds.

16. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

For Intel's previous mobile CPU lines, they have offered 3-4 classes of chips: standard/full voltage (~35W), medium voltage (~25W), low-voltage (~17W), and ultra-low-voltage (~10W). Clockspeeds on standard and medium voltage parts are nearly comparable, with SV parts going a step or two higher than MV and MV otherwise just being highly binned chips. Meanwhile clockspeeds quickly start scaling down for LV and ULV.

Intel is currently only offering SV and ULV Core i3/5/7 parts, which means you either put up with a 35W chip, or you get a chip that only runs at 1.06GHz. However Apple has always used MV parts in the 13" line in order to preserve battery life and to keep heat down. Without a MV i3/5/7 chip from Intel, Apple doesn't have a suitable chip to put in to the 13" MacBook. Worse, Apple needs an OpenCL-capable GPU (which Intel doesn't offer), which means there also needs to be an allowance for a discrete GPU when it comes to the i3/5/7.

If you look at the reviews for the existing i3/5/7 laptops, they're almost universally 14" or bigger. For the few smaller models they all have terrible battery life and often have awkward batteries that protrude from the laptop itself due to size.

You're not going to get a core i3/5/7 CPU into a 13.3" laptop with today's technology and meet Apple's high standards. Intel simply doesn't offer a mid-power chip suitable for such a device.

17. tooz macrumors 6502

If I had the money, I would upgrade from my uMB to the new 13" MBP just for the better screen and FireWire

18. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Small, but important differences

I've had a couple of those late-2008 unibody MacBooks. I liked the speed, but I hated the:

- misaligned/crooked keyboard. Yours might be better.

- lack of Firewire. It's a big deal, if you have Mini DV camcorder, use FW with multiple Macs or have some semi=pro audio equipment, like mixers/sequencers.

- AWFUL, truly AWFUL screen. I've had a 2.53 GHz unibody MBP and a first gen Air at the time. It was shocking to see, how poor the MB's screen was. In fact, even Apple quietly replaced it in February or March, 2009. I'm not talking about the mega glossiness. The screen itself is from a budget range. If your eyes and head hurt after a while, that's the reason.

- I hated the poor battery life. The newer one is a bit better, the newest one is even better. That must make a difference. I get less than 3 hours out of a '7 hours' battery, so a '10 hours' battery should keep you going for over 4-5 hours. Yours have a replaceable one, the last two upgrade omitted that option.

- as somebody already pointed out, the audio in/out had been simplified. It's a shame, but you would already know that if it was really important to you.

- SD card slot - it's nice to have it built-in, but an adaptor would cost a few dollars, so with a laptop, it's not that big of a deal to have it or not to.

- in terms of actual processing power, there is hardly any difference and the clock speed indicates the actual difference, e.g. 2.4 vs 2.53

- graphics card: I think you would have to do heavy gaming or video editing to really see the difference.

19. mac8867 macrumors 6502

I happen to really like the new Domino's pizza... :eek:

20. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

No issues with mine.

I wish I had Firewire, but I can get along without it.

The later screens are better than the early ones, but none of them are great.

I really don't know what mine is rated for but I have to stretch it to get 3 hours.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

21. Drew n macs macrumors member

Well you will lose the separate audio in out jacks, you will gain a mini display port that will allow you to output audio.... so you can get a little creative with that especially if you are going to output to a monitor, many monitors on the market have hdmi inputs and audio outputs.