What's the difference between POP mail and IMAP mail?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by anonymous4a, Mar 31, 2014.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

I don't know what else to do to fix this. My phone keeps crashing cause the mail app keeps downloading mails. I heard there was an option for POP mail that allowed mail for "x" number of days. I can't find this option now.. and someone suggested that IMAP mail would allow mail for a certain number of days. Basically how do I switch mail to IMAP and would it solve the issue of my mail app constantly downloading 150+ emails ??

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Hotmail by any chance?

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Typically
    POP, is for local storage of mail, for access in only one location. There is no synchronization.

IMAP, allows for syncing read/unread state. And maintaining a persistence cloud copy of mail that you could access from mobile, desktop, webmail, etc.

What service are you using? We need to know that to help. GMail, comcast.net, etc?

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Like I said in the OTHER thread you started on the same subject. To resolve your issue now and to avoid potential future issues you may want to clean up your e-mails from the email server.

5. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

And best not to start duplicate threads. :)

6. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

I frequently check my old emails.. Is that what you mean by deleting them from the server ? So I really don't want to delete my old emails. I also have a iPad running 5.01 and I NEVER had it download all of my emails, not like IOS 7 does. So if it works on other devices, is there any way to just not have it download all the emails ?

Something with changing the advanced settings for each email..

7. aicul macrumors 6502a

I sense some confusion here.

If you want to keep your old mails one would assume that you want to read them. And I figure you have more that 150 old mails. So there is somewhere no logic in wanting to keep old mail and not having access to it.

In the iPhone there used to be a limitation preference where you could set the max number of emails downloaded (I say used because I can't remember where it was and I cannot find it in iOS7).

However, there are other mail APPs for iPhone that will let you set that limit. Some free (I will not publicize here).

Finally, if you do have an iPhone and an iPad my advice is to go for the iMAP option.

Hope this helps

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

What you should do is move all the e-mail you want to keep into an archive folder. This way when the mail app syncs it should only download your inbox initially.