Whats the difference between the macbook and macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andiendarwies, Jul 11, 2014.

1. andiendarwies macrumors newbie

This is my first computer from apple and i dont know which one to get. im deciding between the 13.3" macbook vs. the 13.3" macbook pro. whats the difference? the only thing i could tell is that the macbook pro had 2 gigs more ram but its about $250 - $300 more expensive. is there something I'm missing?

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I take it you are referring to the Macbook Air vs the Macbook Pro? The regular Macbook has been discontinued.

Either model can be configured in a number of ways. The Air is thinner and lighter than the pro, while the pro has a better display(if you are referring to the retina Macbook Pro) and a higher clocked processor. In normal day to day tasks, the Air will be just as fast. The base model of each machine starts with 4GB of ram and 128SSD(Hard Drive). The Air can be configured with 4 or 8GB of ram and the pro can be configured with 4, 8, or 16GB. The Air's hard drive can be configured at 128, 256, or 512GB. The Pro can be 128, 256, 512 or 1TB. The ram cannot be upgraded later. The storage can, but it can be costly and difficult.

Tell us more about your usage habits, what you want the machine to do, and what your budget is.

3. MICHAELSD, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

If you're buying used, the MacBook is way too outdated for anyone's needs these days.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Need more information about the two models you're comparing. If you're buying new, Apple doesn't make the MacBook anymore. If you're buying used, there are 11 different models and many more configurations that have been sold from 2006 to 2010.

5. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Also don't even bother looking at non retina MacBook Pro. It's 2 years outdated and will soon go the way of a dodo