What's the difference between the silicon case and the smart cover?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Liquinn, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Liquinn Suspended

What's the difference between the silicone case and the smart cover?

2. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

Silicone case covers the back of the iPad, Smart Cover covers the screen.

3. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

What's better?

4. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

Different uses. I use both, the case protects the back of the iPad and provides grip, the Smart Cover protects the screen and can prop up the iPad for use. The Smart Cover is magnetically attached and pulls off quite easily.

5. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I have an iPad Pro silicone case and a mini smart cover - is this ok?

6. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

If I buy an iPad Air 16/32GB in white what case should I get?

7. Dunkrag macrumors regular

Dunkrag

What iPad do you have?

8. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

iPad 1st gen, 4th gen, iPad Air 2. Soon to be iPad Pro (1st gen) and mini 4. :)

9. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

The smart case fit the black and the front, doesn't it?

10. Dunkrag macrumors regular

Dunkrag

So the iPad Pro silicone case will be fine for the iPad Pro and the Mini Smart cover will be fine for the iPad Mini 4 (assuming it's a Mini 4 Smart Cover)

11. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Will the iPad mini 4 smart cover fit the iPad mini 2?

12. seadragon Contributor

You should put the silicone case on your Powermac G5 and the smart cover on your iPhone. That would look really cool.

13. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

So all this fits?

iPad air smart case black £65.00
    iPad air white (£319)

Total = £384
    ===
    iPad mini 2
    £219 white
    case £65

total = £284

iPad Pro and iPad mini = £479.00 + £799.00 = £1278

14. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Will the iPad mini 4 smart cover fit the iPad mini 2?

15. Dunkrag macrumors regular

Dunkrag

No.

16. Liquinn, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015

Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I can't find the mini 2 case on Apple's website ;/

iPad air smart case black £65.00
    iPad air white (£319)

Total = £384
    ===
    iPad mini 2
    £219 white

total = £219
    ==========
    iPad Pro and iPad mini black = £479.00 + £799.00 = £1278

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, they do. But Apple doesn't make them for the iPad Pro or for the mini 4.

18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

And if you buy both its more expensive than the single piece was with the Air 2. Maybe some prefer this design but I wouldn't be surprised if marketing dreamed this up so as to make the keyboard cover not look so over priced.

19. Fpb1980 macrumors member

I went onto amazon and bought a bovon ipad pro case. It's the same material as the apple one but has both in one. It was only $14. I couldn't pay $140 for apple cases that provide very little protection. The bovon case fit perfectly and includes magnetic on/off.

20. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

If you stay still and don't swat, the bee will fly away. Let's stop giving the OP the attention he seeks. The wasteland practically needs a new server just to handle his threads.

21. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

I believe they cover different cases (pun intended). The silicon case covers the back, provides grip, and helps protect against drops. The magnetic case can act as a smart cover and turns the device on or off if you open/close it, and the screen when not in use.

22. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

Can I just say the smart "case" for the mini 4 is literally the biggest ripoff I've ever seen of an Apple product. $100 for a front and back cover when similarly nice cases can be had for a fraction of that? Unbelievable that Apple even has the gall to call it a "case" when it's just a back cover and to charge that amount for it.

23. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

24. meistervu macrumors 65816

Well, at least they didn't call it a "cage."

By your definition, virtually all iPhone cases should not be called case then. Out of curiosity, I looked up the definition of "case" in Merriam-Webster online dictionary, and the definition did not mentioning about fully enclosing the contained object, so by that definition, it's OK for Apple to call its silicon back cover a case, ditto thousands of mobile phone case makers.

Finally, the price of the silicon back cover and the smart cover is higher than what you have to pay for comparing to the seemingly dime and dozen on Amazon and Ebay. However, I do wish some one else out there would make a combo that works as well as Apple for less than $10 or even better give them away for free, as that would be better than paying for things. For now, I haven't found any, so I reluctantly paid for Apple's combo. They work wonderfully, and I enjoyed them every time I used them: the combo of back cover and smart cover is slim, and yet protective enough, fits perfectly, and the back magnet is strong to hold the cover when folded back so that the cover doesn't flap around. But would it kill Apple to give them away for free? I know they make a great combo and no one else seem to be able to duplicate it, but $100 for perfection! Why does it have to cost so much?

What I also don't understand is that if Apple can charge $100 for the combo, why other case makers don't make a combo as good and charge less and make ton of profit? Everyone seems to agree that Apple combo is overpriced, which by definition means can be made to cost less and still be profitable.

25. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I'm assuming you mean to say the Apple cases provide very little protection in the case of a drop from 20 feet or more.

Since I've had the case and cover on my iPP, I haven't gotten one scratch, ding, or dent in the unit after a couple drops off of my coffee table onto tile floor and dropping a UE Megaboom Bluetooth speaker right onto the screen side from four feet above.

The case really provides some good energy dissipation with a very light and minimal design.

And do the Apple cases and covers cost more than others? Sure. Apple isn't a product for frugal buyers and they don't make excuses for the prices they command.