Whats the difference between these two books

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by teamrusnac, Jun 26, 2012.

1. teamrusnac macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

I was getting ready to get a copy of Sam's Teach Yourself iOS 5 Application Development in 24 hrs 3rd Edition (ISBN-10 067233576X) and I noticed that they are coming out with a new book called Sams Teach yourself Xcode 4 in 24 hours (ISBN-10 0672335875) on June 27th. Do you guys know the difference between the two books?

Thanks!

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I would avoid "SAMs Teach Yourself". Too many people coming here with issues when reading them.

3. teamrusnac thread starter macrumors newbie

has any one on these forums had any success with the Sams Teach yourself series? If so please respond and let me know!

4. idelovski macrumors regular

I would guess that the Xcode book covers both iOS and Mac programming and centers on Xcode itself. On the other hand, the book you mention here is one of those basic books about iOS development. I know i did the first edition of that book almost from cover to cover (and I did that with maybe 4 or 5 iOS books) in 2009 and 2010 as I was learning the basics.

And as basics I mean how to layout and wire controls on the view, how to push views with navigation bar, how to setup the table, how to use tab bar or modal views, alerts, orientation changes, accelerometer and other things I take for granted now, as if you're born with that. The things you need before attempting anything more complex.

And for that the book was really good. I have the second edition too but I never spend too much time with it.

On the other hand, this book was ruined for some reason by editors or whoever came up with the decision to take a material for a 900 page book and turn it into a 600 page book. The book had a lot of interesting and advanced stuff, but it's very hard to follow. In the end, you had to additionally research a lot of topics presented in the book on your own. Such a waste.