What's the difference between these two external hard drives? (WD)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AdventurousJosh, Oct 4, 2009.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    So I can't figure out the difference between these two hard drives, they look identical but Amazon says the latter one is the "newer" version, are they the same thing?

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254686897&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...=dp_ob_title_ce?ie=UTF8&qid=1254686897&sr=1-1

Which is the better buy?
    Also, Is it recommended I get a Mac formatted external drive? Does it do it automatically when I plug it in or is it easier to get a mac formatted drive?

2. Machnikowski macrumors newbie

They're exactly the same in terms of specs, the second one just has a different enclosure and is more expensive. It is, however, the current one. The first one is now "last-years tech" as far as WD is concerned.

3. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

So it's safe to buy last years tech? really no difference besides packaging?

4. Machnikowski macrumors newbie

That newer shell is supposed to be more durable. Other than that, the old one is perfectly fine.

5. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks,
    Is it recommended I get a Mac formatted external drive? Does it do it automatically when I plug it in or is it easier to get a mac formatted drive?

Thanks,

6. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

They are the same specs, just different incasing of the product, I think you will be just fine with the older model.

7. hellomacguy macrumors newbie

you can format it on a mac

when the harddrive arrives you can easily format it.

open disk utility and select the hard drive from a side bar on the side. click on the erase tab and then erase the drive(this will format it for use with a mac)