What's the difference? (RAM)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cujoca, Apr 17, 2009.

1. cujoca macrumors regular

Hey everyone!

I have a white 20" iMac core 2 duo and it has 2GB of RAM and I've been advised by numerous people to max it out. According to apple, the max amount of RAM is 3GB, but thanks to the folks at MacRumors for finding out that it's actually 3.33GB (2x2). Since RAM is so dirt cheap these days i'm going to upgrade it and i've read that OWC has a great reputation, so i've been looking there and i found these two almost identical sets of 2x2 GB RAM and I was wondering if you folks could lend me a helping hand and tell me which one to buy...or if you recommend any other type of RAM.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53IM2DDR4GBK/

OR

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53C4DDR2P4GB/

Thanks!

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

That's weird, i really couldn't see anything different between the two. Unless someone else can see a difference, just get the one that is cheaper, which really isn't that much of a difference:rolleyes:

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The cas latency is different between the two. Either should work and you probably won't notice a difference, but technically, the more expensive one is faster. On the other hand, it is a dollar so you might as well get the better one.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Thanks for the clarification, didn't see that. if thats the case, get the faster one!

5. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you Thank you! And my iMac can handle the faster one?
    Two more things, just for clarification, i'm not making a mistake by ordering 2x2 even though my computer will only recognize 3.33GB?
    Has anyone out there had problems with OWC RAM or should i look at Crucial? (they're virtually both the same price)

6. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

before i buy it, i just want to make sure i'm making a good decision with respects to the RAM

7. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

i think i'll just go with the second option, $49.99 seems like a good deal to me

8. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

It is quality RAM from a good reseller with a lifetime warranty. You can't go wrong. Even if it is dead on arrival they will replace it for at no cost.