What's the difference? Video Card Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TJunkers, Apr 23, 2009.

1. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

Besides the Mini Display Port, what's the difference between these two cards:

Card 1

Card 2

I just really don't want to wait 4 - 5 weeks for that card! Any help would be great!

Thanks!

2. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

I keep rubbing my eye's just to to see if I'm wrong, but all it seems to me is, is card number 1 is $20usd cheaper!

But you might want to get a second opinion, as I've just got in from the pub! ;)

Also, it's seems strange that you have to wait 4 weeks for Apple to ship it to you!

I upgraded to this card when I got my new machine last week, and it came within 6 days, already installed!

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

The one from eBay is a regular PC card flashed to work in a MacPro.

4. MacVidCards Suspended

Don't buy from Applemacanix...they're the scourge of the flashing world...they lurk on forums...grab other people's discoveries and overcharge for their "work".

The big difference between those cards in a Nehalem is that the Apple card will run at 5.0GTs while the Applemecnix card will only run at 2.5.

Not to mention this little tidbit "analog support is expected with the release of 10.5.7" ....I have NO IDEA where they got that from.

When 10.5.7 comes out and their VGA still doesn't work...will they update it to "analog support is expected with the release of 10.5.8" ?

5. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Another difference is that the apple card presumably can output to 30" monitors on both ports. Flashed cards currently can only output one dual-link DVI signal for some reason. Also, my flashed card causes a crash if I plug two monitors into it, but I'm running two cards. Did that particular issue ever get ironed out, Rominator?

6. MacVidCards Suspended

Not yet.

10.5.7 MAY bring a fix...but I wouldn't count on it.

Netkas' fine work may yet bring a solution, as it appears to affect the cards he is working with as well.

It is a strange thing to watch...the "hot Plug Detect" works...the card switches to dual display...both screens come up then seconds later mouse freezes and computer crashes. Seems so close to working right.

Join the Netkas Fan Club and cross your fingers.

7. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Heh, I hear you. If the PCIe link speed, dual monitor and dual link DVI issues were resolved, and we somehow got analog output, the PC flashed card would be the best card for a mac ever bar none. As it is, I kind of like the one I have.