What's the difference?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hssky97, Feb 26, 2011.

1. hssky97 macrumors regular

What's the difference of the iPad(2) and the iPod Touch besides the size factor? Also, what can the iPad do that the Mac OS can't do? I'm really just torn between a Macbook Air or an iPad2?:confused:

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

the ipad isnt a laptop. No photoshop, photo rendering, video encoding ect.

As far as the iPad 2, we don't even know what is has besides the obvious front facing camera.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Get the Air ... the Air will do everything an iPad can and more

4. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Wow. Simple yet complicated question. I think it breaks down to this:

1) The ipad is NOT a blown-up iPod touch. The screen difference makes for quite a distinct experience. Although the OS and even the apps FEEL the same- having a large screen with sufficient size keyboard create quite a difference.

2) if you want to do "computer thing"- get the Air. The ipad does not offer a complete desktop/laptop experience. Its not meant to. It is amazing for chilling on your couch- surfing the Internet, answering email, music, and a few games. However, it will not fulfill your expectations if you do want to do higher power activities- write papers, Photoshop, etc. Both are very portable, and very accessible. But I would definitely recommend thinking about what you need and want before you buy.

I love my iPad- its does what I EXPECT it too. And it has the "cool factor." But I still need my MacBook to subsidize some of the activities the iPad can't do. You really do need a laptop if you have the iPad.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I do feel that the iPad is a large iTouch, but thats good in the same way that a big TV is better and more enjoyable than a small one.

As far as which to get, if the iPad can handle all your computing needs then you can probably do fine with it, just have it activated at the store, but it really does better as a second device.

6. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

iPad is a blown up iPod Touch. But the bigger screen makes it more enjoyable to do simple things like mail, browsing, games, music, etc. Macbook Air has a full desktop OS, its basically an ultra-portable laptop. Both are completely different, it depends on what you want to do.

7. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

If you are going to get an Air, I highly suggest you go to a Macbook instead. The Air is great, but it can be better. Now if the Air isn't going to be your only computer then I would think about it. I have an iMac and used a Macbook and then a Netbook for a while and realized I didn't want two computers. I would rather have one computer and one device that allows me to consume media in a cooler way.

Some people need a laptop, others need a secondary "computer" but not a full fledged one. The iPad works well for what I bought it for, much better than the netbook I had. I use mine for checking my email, browsing the web (saves energy versus doing it from my computer), watching movies, playing the occasional game, and inputting data into a simple spreadsheet.

FYI, I'm a spreadsheet junkie and the way iPad has "Numbers" set up is kind of annoying but it works, especially with the bluetooth keyboard. It's nice when I can decide I want to track something differently and be able to do it right then and there, not when I get home or get to the office. While it's my toy I actually get a lot of use out of it at work.