What's the difference?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imjoee, Jul 29, 2013.

1. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

I'm looking at the lowest end models. The 21.5" and the 27" iMacs. Is the 5400 noticeably slower than 7200 or is there not a difference? I'm looking to keep the Mac for at least 4 years. I'm a photographer and do a lot of 1 minute video downloads and uploads.

2. Serban Suspended

I think there is not so much difference BUT if you can buy the base 27" iMac i suggest you to buy the 21.5" iMac with Fusion Drive

----------

the difference in price between 21.5 and 27 is 500$, Fusion drive is 250$ OR you can put 600$ and buy a nice 512 SSD for the 21.5"

3. tekmoe macrumors 68000

imjoee, I concur with Serban and would say as long as you go for the Fusion drive you will not have to worry about performance issues. I opted for the 1TB and it is plenty fast. I was in Lightroom/Photoshop all day yesterday and the only time I experienced any slowness was when I started running out of RAM (Page Outs in Activity Monitor started climbing) and even then it wasn't bad at all. If you decide to not go the Fusion route, I don't think the speed increase from 5400rpm to 7200rpm is going to be overly apparent compared to, say, going from a mechanical drive to a solid state drive anyway. Either way, go for the Fusion if you can !! :)

4. Bear macrumors G3

There is actually a noticeable difference in performance between a 5400 and 7200 RPM drive. In my case the system with the 5400RPM drive was newer and had a faster processor, so what I experience was purely drive speed issues. Both were on the same version of OS X and had the same amount of ram. And the newer system was loaded from a backup of the older system, so everything on both systems was identical.

My question for you is have you gone in to a store and tried editing photos on both systems - you may decide you really want the 27" or you may decide that the screen size doesn't matter.

5. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

Hmmm, definitely changed my decision about the 21.5 and the 27. But I do like a lot of real estate. I have to research what exactly a fusion drive is so I can do a comparison with the iMac models, thanks

----------

I actually have not yet tried editing anything yet. But I have a 27 7200 2010 iMac at home I currently use which isn't too bad, I'm just looking to upgrade

----------

I will definitely look into a fusion drive, I have to do some research about it so I know exactly what it is. Thank you for your reply