What's the difference

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jameslavis, Sep 18, 2013.

1. jameslavis macrumors newbie

People like me hope a clean install will kill any chance of overwrite or legacy problems. Now if you ota install over ios6 or wipe upgrade then restore from iCloud after ios7 install. What's the diff?

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

There is no difference. When people do a clean restore, they don't restore from an iCloud backup. You manually go through and sync back stuff from your computer or re-download it from the app store.

3. coolio93 macrumors 6502

Restore from iCloud and any potential problems or bugs that you might have had by updating will come back. If you want a clean install then you will have to restore and setup as new and download all your apps again.

4. MrGimper macrumors 68040

MrGimper

I believe it is the general opinion on this forum that a restore from iCloud is less likely to bring issues with it than a restore from iTunes.

5. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I could be wrong but I don't think this is true. They're essentially the same thing. If something is corrupted/buggy on your phone, chances are it's in both the iCloud backup and iTunes backup.

6. jameslavis thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok but if you wipe and manually download apps won't your data be gone for games without a full iCloud restore?

7. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Yes, it would be gone.

8. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Can you not manually choose a couple of select apps to restore ie SMS, a game, wifi settings and contacts?

9. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Restore is pretty much all or nothing. iCloud syncing (not backup..) will do some of that like contacts, calendars, etc.. I'm not too familiar if Game Center will store data? I think like high scores and stuff but maybe someone more knowledgable can chime in on that. Everything else is all or nothing with an iCloud or iTunes restore.

10. jameslavis thread starter macrumors newbie

So when peeps are wiping and clean installing they are counting on losing Losing game progress? I don't see the point now in wiping and iCloud restore as it will bring old garbage

11. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Exactly. Anyone doing a clean restore and then iCloud restore is defeating the purpose of a clean restore.

12. MrGimper macrumors 68040

MrGimper

There is no guarantee that you actually have "old garbage" ... A clean install is normally a last resort after someone has installed and then restored from backup and then had issues.

You may install and restore and have zero issues.... especially if you've never used one of the betas.

13. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

iCloud backup is the same as a local iTunes backup.

i.e. if your local backup is 600MB, then your iCloud backup will take up 600MB as well.

"Bad" or corrupted data in your backup (or old jailbreak left-overs) will get pushed to iCloud just as easily as it is backed up in iTunes.