What's the difference ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sleyeu, Oct 29, 2009.

1. sleyeu macrumors 6502

Oct 18, 2009
    What's the difference between a HDD and a SSD

I'm not sure what the difference is or the pros and cons.

All I know is that the hdd makes more noise as there is a disc spinning inside and the SSD is alot more expensive.
  2. acearchie macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2006
    SSD is a solid state hard drive so basically it has no moving parts meaning that it can transfer data much faster than a normal HDD however they are much more expensive as it is fairly new technology compared to the HDD.

The SSD's also have no seek time and have no "cold start" factor meaning that an SSD will boot much faster than an HDD.

However you compromise on size as the biggest SSD I think you can get is (256GB?) and the biggest HDD (for a laptop at least) is soon to be over 1TB.

However for your average user you wont notice much difference against an SSD and a 7200rpm HDD.

Also if you are asking the question it is probably likely that you will not notice the difference!

I hope this gives you an idea of the difference!
  3. sleyeu thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 18, 2009
    Yes! Thanks :apple:

One more thing, If I tilt or move a laptop quite fast using a hdd will it damage the hdd?
  4. acearchie macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2006
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

Basically since the HDD has a spinning needle jolting it about could cause it to skip and crash or break the Hard drive however it needs to be a large jolt to break it.

This is why the nano and iphone are used over the classic for running as the flash drives have no moving parts.
  5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    You will notice the difference, I know I did just by viewing someone else's machine. However, where you notice it most is the launching of applications. If you have to ask what the difference is though then a 7200 RPM drive would suit you fine for now.
  6. sleyeu thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 18, 2009
    k thanks!

in the future, when the ssd are cheaper ill get one.. just to get one and.. well...