Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Revlefty

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2006
One of the previous updates seemed to crash my Macbook, as far I know the drive still works but it just won't start, and the cd drive is broken so I can't do an archive and install. I just upgraded to a Macbook Pro and I tried to swap HDs and install the new software on the old drive but the install doesn't go through. Any ideas on how I can get my stuff from the HD? I was thinking about putting the old drive back in the MBP and doing an archive and install using the old install disk to get it running again, but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I do but it's a few weeks old and I had some stuff on there since then that i'd like.

spinnerlys, the Macbook doesn't have a FW.

So it's a Unibody MacBook (10/2008 - 6/2009) with those ports?
macbook-ports.jpg

Or the new white Unibody from 10/2009?
overview-sideview.jpg

If so, you could put the MB's HDD into an external 2.5" external HDD enclosure with USB. They can be had for around 15€.

Then you can use Disk Utility or TechTools or Disk Warrior or Data Rescue 3 to recover data or repair the disk.

Revlefty

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2006
RE:
"Any ideas on how I can get my stuff from the HD?"

Use one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152&Tpk=rosewill rcw 608

I have one and it works great with IDE drives, with SATA drives, even with an old external ATAPI CD burner...

- John

Thanks, I was just looking for one of those. One question though before I buy something, I've tried to install SL on the old HD that was running Tiger and it fails about half way through (Something not being able to copy files) Is that going to be a problem when I try and get the files from it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.