What's the equivalent of [insert windows app name] on the Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PsykX, Apr 25, 2009.

?

Do you think it's a good idea ?

1. Yes, I'd use it myself!

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Yes, I'd show it to other people I know!

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. No, it already exists (please let me know...)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, it seems pointless...

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. I don't know...?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Hello everyone,
    I'm thinking about making a website for the Mac community this summer. I've always wondered "what could seriously help the Mac community a lot?" and I wanted to bring some of my goodness into this community, but never found.
    And I think I just had an awesome idea right now... well I find it awesome, but I need your opinions before throwing myself into this project.

So here's the idea briefly :
    - You can browse through a list of Windows applications
    (i.e. Word 2007, MS Project, AutoCAD, BitComet, Movie Maker, ...)
    - If you click on one of those names, you go to a new page where it gives you a list of the alternatives on the Mac, all of them and there might be an icon next to it to be more graphical...
    (i.e. you click on Word 2007 and it gives you Word 2008 and Pages '09 and and others if there are others)
    - Then you can click on one of these, and it shows a general screenshot of the application to give you an idea of the interface (click to enlarge). Then, if I get a good server, you can browse through a maximum of say, 10 screenshots.
    - Below the screenshot, it gives you a non-exhaustive list of the features of the app
    - Then it gives general information on the app : The picture of the icon, the release date, Appoximated price (approximated because obviously it's not the *same* price in every store, right?), the developer (i.e. you click to see general informations of the developer, what apps this developper did, its logo, its website...), website of the app/developer (click to go open it in a new window / tab)

I might add a small Register / Login system (not mandatory to browse the website though) for people who are interested into adding *correct* and *clean* information and applications to the website, because doing it alone would require all my time this summer and well... I have other things to do. Yes, in some way the word Wiki is appropriate, but once again, I don't know if I should code the whole website myself or just use a basic wiki sample (i.e. mediawiki).

Obviously I'm looking into making a nice, simple, clean and Mac-ish design for such website, because it's very Mac-oriented. If I remember well, mediawiki's skins are awful to change so I think I'd build the whole website myself for convenience.

The purpose, for those who still wonder, would be to help switchers determine which apps they need once they're on a Mac platform to do the equivalent of what they were doing before on Windows. I've noticed some users seem lost after switching and they're asking everyone what app does this and that. I even myself digging on Google to see which app does the equivalent of MS Project for instance, and I've switched for more than 3 years now...

Ideas? Constructive comments? People who wish to help? You're all welcome.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think that is a good idea, I'd think about including reviews of the apps - specifically, how they compare to their Windows counterparts. If there is more than one app for each, it would help people see the pros and cons of each - since it is rare that you find apps that have every feature of their Windows counterpart.

3. PsykX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Yeah, I thought about including a section called "What this app does" and another one called "What this application does not"
    And maybe people who register could vote for the app, say give it a maximum of 5 stars like in iTunes (or everywhere else :p)

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I like the idea as well. Maybe we'd then get less questions about finding appropriate apps here on MR :D

But I'd definitely include a rating system/feature list. Try to keep it short and show the main features and missing features compared to the Win app.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, like a bullet list, not a full-fledged review.

6. Matek macrumors 6502a

Don't crucify me, but I think it would be a good idea to make the list go both ways. Now that I've been using a Mac for a while, there are some cool apps I miss on my Windows boxes.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think it's worth the time and money to do this.

1) Google does this already.
    2) Nobody will have heard of your site when you start it.
    3) Odds of it taking off are slim.
    4) People will just ask on the forums anyways.

But, if you end up making it I'd certainly contribute reviews or pictures, etc. if you wanted them.

8. PsykX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PsykX

1) I know, but Google is an artisanal way of doing things.
    2) That's one of my fears, I have no clue how to publicize things
    3) That's related to #2, but it's another one of my fears
    4) Then you'll be able to post the URL of my website and bam! LOL

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Right, but it kind of defeats the purpose to make a site with the intent of answering common forum questions if you have to post a link to it every single time someone asks.

10. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

It is worth a try to be honest, getting a domain name and hosting is relatively cheap these days

11. GamaFu macrumors regular

I recently saw a website called Alternatives To on LifeHacker.
    The website list some software and you can find the alternative to it on either Windows, Mac, or Linux.
    What you describe sounds awful lot like it. You should take a look. :)