What's the exclamation mark all about??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by snail-o, Aug 8, 2008.

1. snail-o macrumors newbie

I have just upgraded my I Touch to 2.0.1 and have lost everything from my ipod except one track on an album purchased from i Tunes. Everything else in my itunes library had an exclamation mark in the left column and said the original file could not be found when I tried to sync.

Any ideas?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It means that iTunes is unable to find the music files on your computer's hard drive. Did you move or rename any of your music folders/files recently?

3. snail-o thread starter macrumors newbie

I did rip a cd to it and input my own titles, would this do it?

I guess this means that I have lost everything.....

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hm, adding music shouldn't move or delete your existing music...

Are you using a Mac or PC? On a PC, what you should do is a global search for music files. Just find "search" from the start menu and you should see an option like "find music." I'm sure a similar function exists for the Mac, but I don't know where it will be, exactly.

Oh, and in case the music did get deleted, check your trash can / recycle bin. Sometimes deleted files can be recovered from there.

Once you find your music, delete all the entries from your iTunes with the exclamation mark, then drag the music back into iTunes.

5. mpshay macrumors 6502

I can't see how that would cause itunes to be unable to locate your music files. Are they maybe stored on an external (or network) drive that is no longer connected to the computer?

6. snail-o thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Night Spring - I think I worked it out with your help.:)