Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Hello

I mainly do Lightroom and FCPX editing. I currently have the 2014 10 core 3.0 mac pro.... itching for an upgrade.

What's the fastest Mac outside the 2019 Macpro? Is it 2020 16" Macbookpro faster than my current computer?

Hope to get some useful ideas, thanks!

Peet_B

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2019
Netherlands
Depends on what you're after... The 2020 16" MBP is on par with the 12-core trashcan, so yes it's faster, but not with a big margin. The other thing to consider is (something that bothers me) why purchase a laptop if you're not going to take it anywhere (assuming you don't cause you have a desktop Mac). The benefits of the new MBP 16" are improved graphics, but the downside are the thermals. If I were to give you advice, it would be to look for a reasonably specced iMacPro second hand, as they are reasonably affordable and beat the '19 MacPro base model if you have anything better than the 8-core iMacPro. Plus the iMacPro comes with a nice 5K display :)

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
The other thing to consider is (something that bothers me) why purchase a laptop if you're not going to take it anywhere (assuming you don't cause you have a desktop Mac).

I agree with your post and recommendation but just wanted to say that the benefit of a laptop to me would be that it will never be affected by power outages, comes with its own built-in UPS if you will.

iGobbleoff

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2011
The question is too vague. It’s like asking “How long is a piece of string”

How much money do you want to spend?
Staying in the OSX ecosystem?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Own and use an MBP16,1. It’s loaded with everything (except “only” 1TB internal storage). Have been testing RX 5700 XT in eGPU with the machine as well. AMD 5XXX drivers have not improved since 10.15.1 and there are issues with METAL. Hopeful 10.15.4 will address when W5700X is available but there are no guarantees.

MBP16,1 is a great machine but it’s not a desktop. Not even pretending to be. It can get by for a period of time if needed. If you’re looking for a desktop, get a desktop.

Even loaded i9 iMac27” with 128GB 3rd party RAM is something to consider. Would update dGPU to the Vega and consider an eGPU setup. My biggest gripe is only two TB3 ports and no target display mode. Never liked all in one for that reason but they do perform well in client offices.

Peet_B

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2019
Netherlands
the benefit of a laptop to me would be that it will never be affected by power outages, comes with its own built-in UPS if you will.
That's sort of correct, but power outages (at least where I'm from) are very rare, and even if there were to be a power outage, the MacBook can (under heavy load) still give you 4 hours of "extra" time, and even that comes with it's drawbacks as there is no WiFi and you can't hook it up to a separate display as that too uses power from the grid...

I don't think "how much money" is the right question. I think it's more about value for money.

Would update dGPU to the Vega and consider an eGPU setup. My biggest gripe is only two TB3 ports and no target display mode. Never liked all in one for that reason but they do perform well in client offices.
If you're rocking eGPU's you're better off with the base-model 2019 MacPro, or with the upgraded 10-core. You'll have the steadiest platform which is designed to be upgraded. 10 cores are plenty for today (with exceptions) and when the time comes you'd want to upgrade to let's say the 28-core, they are going to be way more affordable. Look at (my) 2009 MacPro. Bought two 3,33Ghz 6-core Xeon's for €75,- while they were more than €1600,- for just one...

I just hope Apple will one day make a MacSemiPro for people like me, with reasonable specs ánd upgradability. Who knows what the future of Apple and their own chips might bring... Just sad that the only proper stand-alone desktops are a MacMini, which is "cheap" with too little performance (GPU-wise), or the MacPro which is way too expensive for normal users :(

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
What about the 2020 16" vs the latest iMac Pro? Problem with the imac pro is that they are hard to come by 2nd hand and probably just as hard to offload. With the Mac Pro, a processor upgrade down the road would help in averaging the cost out in the long run. I still have my souped up 2009, works well for batch processing so I take the load off my 2014 Mac Pro. I don't mind the long processing time, when the files are big, it kills to wait for each interaction with the software.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
In all internal testing for video-specific usage, top spec 2019 MBP16,1 outperformed a base config iMacPro in benchmark testing. Real world was a slight edge to 2019 MBP16,1 in hardware accelerated functions (video encoding) but for most two-pass encoding it was almost equal.

Geekbench scores do not show the same, however. There is usually around a 1000 point jump for the iMacPro 2017 3.2 GHz 8 core vs. 2.4 GHz 8 core MBP16,1 2019.

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
in the real world there is a fully developed cMP behind the MP2019 ; -)

What do you mean?
[automerge]1582004369[/automerge]
In all internal testing for video-specific usage, top spec 2019 MBP16,1 outperformed a base config iMacPro in benchmark testing. Real world was a slight edge to 2019 MBP16,1 in hardware accelerated functions (video encoding) but for most two-pass encoding it was almost equal.

Geekbench scores do not show the same, however. There is usually around a 1000 point jump for the iMacPro 2017 3.2 GHz 8 core vs. 2.4 GHz 8 core MBP16,1 2019.

Do you think the mbp16 outperforms the imacpro?

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013

Hafevyiu guys seen this video? The mbp seems to give the mp a run for it's money.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
Depends on what you're after... The 2020 16" MBP is on par with the 12-core trashcan, so yes it's faster, but not with a big margin. The other thing to consider is (something that bothers me) why purchase a laptop if you're not going to take it anywhere (assuming you don't cause you have a desktop Mac). The benefits of the new MBP 16" are improved graphics, but the downside are the thermals. If I were to give you advice, it would be to look for a reasonably specced iMacPro second hand, as they are reasonably affordable and beat the '19 MacPro base model if you have anything better than the 8-core iMacPro. Plus the iMacPro comes with a nice 5K display :)
Because it may just be the better choice regardless. It's not that your question is a bad one but the answer is that you may not have any other option based on price / performance.
[automerge]1582072552[/automerge]
The question is too vague. It’s like asking “How long is a piece of string”

Staying in the OSX ecosystem?
Did you read the OPs post and not just the subject line? In the post he asks:

What's the fastest Mac outside the 2019 Macpro?

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
What do you mean?
[automerge]1582004369[/automerge]

Do you think the mbp16 outperforms the imacpro?

Hey

I have just sold my iMac Pro and am now on a 16" MBP maxed CPU and GPU together with a W5700 egpu.

It is faster than the iMac Pro in all GPU based work, and seems as fast in the CPU renders I do [maxing the CPU]

The issue is the fans will blast if doing intense CPU work and the iMac Pro was quieter in this regard.

However my system is quieter and faster than the iMac Pro [had the Vega 64] in my GPU based rendering.

I also have the 24" 4k LG monitor hooked up to the eGPU [via USB C]. It is a great set up as it allows me to take my computer home and work there also where as the iMac was stuck in the one place.

I have no regrets whatsoever in my decision to do create this set up [was after a lot of research and consideration].

hope this helps.

Reactions: rueyloon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.