What's the fastest way to save a note on the mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wannabelean, Jan 16, 2014.

1. wannabelean macrumors 6502

Been using the mac for about 6 months or so. I use the mac at work and windows at home. Been a windows fan all my life and very used to typing the run shortcut and launching notepad.exe.

If you had to take a quick note and save it, how would you do it?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

You could use that "Notes" application, triggered by clicking on its Dock icon or using Spotlight (CMD+Spacebar) and entering "notes" or using Alfred or whatever means you want it to open with.
    You could also have it as Login Item and thus just use the CMD+TAB shortcut or Exposé to switch to it.

3. ApfelKuchen, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Notes is one of several possibilities (Notes, TextEdit, and Stickies). You'll probably find TextEdit is closer to the Notepad equivalent, but Notes and Stickies each have their own, unique charms.

How do I access TextEdit? I click the TextEdit icon I added to the Dock. TextEdit is set to Open on Login, and I leave a document open at all times - one click on the Dock icon, there's a note ready and waiting.

All these programs are very low maintenance. They all auto-save, and as with most apps, if you leave documents open when you close the app, they'll re-open when you open the app.

Leaving either TextEdit or Stickies open at all times will cost you about 17mb of active memory, Notes uses closer to 30mb, but in any case, I don't think it's a bad price to pay for the convenience.