What's the first thing I should do to ensure a healthy battery out of the box?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rkoshack, Sep 15, 2014.

1. rkoshack macrumors regular

Ok so I've heard different things when it comes to what to do with your phone right out of the box when it comes to the health of your battery.
    Usually when you first turn it on it has maybe 40-50% left on it. So what is the right thing to do?

Charge to 100% right out of the box, drain to dead and recharge to 100% again.

Or

Don't charge out of the box and instead use it until dead and then charge to 100%, drain to dead again and recharge to 100%.

I've also heard after this initial charge and drain you want to only do that again every month or so and try to keep your battery between 20-80% mostly to maintain a healthy battery. Is this correct?

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

What's the first thing I should do to ensure a healthy battery out of the box?

Do not drain a lithium battery. It actually damages it.

I just charge it up and down, left and right, slow and fast, soon and late, any way I want and I've always had excellent battery life and battery health.

Lithium batteries are designed that way.

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

The only reason people drain the battery is to calibrate the battery percentage. Id say just charge that sucker up, youll sure be using It alot

4. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Not sure it really makes a big difference.

I normally use it straight away and let it go down to around 5-10% and then do a full charge.

5. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

It comes pre-charged. Nothing to really do other than use it. Charge it if you like but with lithium-polymer, there isn't a lot to worry about. I'd be more worried if you use a case as they will hold in the heat when charging and heat is the biggest killer of battery life over time.