Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikaelSmoot

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
What do you guys think about the future of TV aND MOVIES

is it more the itunes and hulu type

or will broadcast/ cable continue on?

Also, i have a lot of itunes as well as blu-ray any opinions on how long blu-ray will last?

or is better to support itunes since, after blu-ray theyll just create some new format?

or is itunes bad becuase of DRM.

kadeschs

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
If you would have asked me those questions a few months ago, and I'd probably say that the Internet will eventually replace cable. Now, I'm not so sure. With Hulu (and potentially Torrent hosting sites) eventually going to start charging for their content and the MPAA's relentless front against P2P hosting entities, I'm unsure of the future of this.

I know the cable companies are getting scared and are trying to introduce bandwidth caps and throttling schemas without a lot of success thus far. This could really impact things.

I can only get DSL where I live. My telephone/cable company provides me with faster bandwidth if I purchase their "gold" cable plan ($100/mo). Otherwise, they'll throttle down my Internet making streaming close to impossible. But, even at the fastest bandwidth that they can provide me, makes Hulu a bad experience. It much too glitchy to watch comfortably or use as a cable replacement solution. Hulu recommends that I have at least 3.5 MB connection (3x faster that what I currently have) to watch their content. I don't know of anyone in my area that would provide a connection like that.

I understood that iTunes no longer uses DRM? Not sure about Blu-Ray since ATV doesn't handle HD very well in my opinion.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
it's incredible that in a nation built on innovation, competition and the free market the cable companies have so much power....they stifle any innovation in the market, and charge whatever they want...and if there is nothing else out there in your area you have to pay for it...just sucks:cool:

kadeschs

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
it's incredible that in a nation built on innovation, competition and the free market the cable companies have so much power....they stifle any innovation in the market, and charge whatever they want...and if there is nothing else out there in your area you have to pay for it...just sucks:cool:

Yes, the same nation that still uses the very old 17% efficient gasoline engine to power majority of its vehicles today. I wonder why that is? Ha!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.