Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Hey everyone,

I may consider a better GPU, since I am using the stock one from my brother's 2008 Mac Pro (ATI 2600XT). What is the best GPU I can put in this thing that's STILL Snow Leopard-compatible?

I currently am NOT aiming to do a hack-install of Mountain Lion, or something like that.

Thanks,
MDD

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hey everyone,

I may consider a better GPU, since I am using the stock one from my brother's 2008 Mac Pro (ATI 2600XT). What is the best GPU I can put in this thing that's STILL Snow Leopard-compatible?

I currently am NOT aiming to do a hack-install of Mountain Lion, or something like that.

Thanks,
MDD

You may also consider Radeon 5770 HD aside from 5870 HD.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Welcome PowerMac G4 MDD. The 5870Hd is faster than the 5770Hd. The 5770Hd only requires one 6 pin power connector.

I noticed that there are versions of this card that are meant for Windows. Is it easy to flash those and use them? The identical "Mac Pro" cards cost way more money.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
I noticed that there are versions of this card that are meant for Windows. Is it easy to flash those and use them? The identical "Mac Pro" cards cost way more money.

Yeah some Mac Edition cards' prices may still be high. For the windows version, I could not comment if they are easy to flash. Normally in the Netkas site they have those information. You may also want to check out MacVidcards as he is selling a Nvidia 8800GTX 640mb HERE In his description it says works on 1,1 or 2,1 Mac Pros from OS 10.5 or newer so this works in Snow Leopard too. He also has a Nvidia 8800GT 1gb for 1,1 Mac Pro but this card is priced higher. For other options, there's another guy who sells flashed card but only Radeon cards HERE

I am also on Snow Leopard most of the time even though this OS is old. It's one of the stable OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.