What's the ground clearance for your macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoNoHarm, Jan 5, 2010.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Hello Everyone, I've been using my new 15" Macbook pro replacement from apple and I noticed that there appears not to be any ground clearance between the bottom of the case and my desk. Is this normal? The feet are there, but it's so low off the ground that the bottom of the case slightly rubs against the desk when i move the computer on my desk. I just put tape in the middle of the bottom and it's so close to the tabletop that now one of the feet are off the ground. Are your Unibody macbook pro's like this as well or should I be worried about my case?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

How long have you had the replacement? Perhaps the rubber feet are worn down? I have VERY little room, no more than a few millimetres from the surface it's on but definitely isn't touching the bottom of the computer.

3. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Hey there,
    My friend had this same problem. It turns out he's a desk user more than a lap user. The reason I say this is because he's heavy handed while typing. He's a freelance writer and types most of his day. The front feet (underneath the palm area) was smashed flat after six months of use. The rear feet were still like new. The feet are super soft and that could be one of the issues you have from a replacement macbook pro. He complained to apple about it and they replaced the feet at an apple store.
    Hope this helps!

4. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I think what may be happening is my computer's bottom cover is warped or something.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

My 13" Unibody only has about 3 sheets of paper of space under it when on a desk, less than a millimeter for sure.

6. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Did you get it fixed?

7. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

8. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Its made of one solid block. It should not warp or bend. If it does it should be covered by guarantee. Put it on a 100% plain surface like a glass table and you will see.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

Glass will also bend.

10. justn macrumors member

justn

Actually, the bottom isn't a solid piece of Al, it is a (rather flimsy feeling) sheet.

11. ZTuned macrumors member

Correct, and aluminum of this gauge is extremely prone to bending and denting.