Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's the ideal size of a laptop screen for you?

• 11"

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • 13"

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • 15"

Votes: 42 42.4%
  • 17"

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Laptop screens too small need 21-27" for serious work

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
13" is ideal for me. You get a nice comfortable keyboard and enough screen space to multitask with, without it being too bulky.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
I use a 11.6 inch Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core) as my main/primary computer.
I like the sceen size, i don't think it is not too small for me but i wouldn't have a 8ich tablet as my main/primary computer because it is too small because of the sceen size, they are great for on the go things.

It is a very powerful(great for video editing, photoshop) and very compact, portable(way more portable than my laptop) tablet PC and i am very happy with it and because of that i be giving my 15 inch Asus laptop to my dad. :)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Laptops don't mean a whole lot if they're big - it really defeats the purpose for me.

Now, the only two laptops I've owned have been 17s, but that was due to a need to have my work machine actually be my portable machine, and while the 17" is portable, it's not very convenient as a portable.

So, 11" will be my next one and 13" is the biggest I'd ever go from now on. Heck I'm even considering opting for a large iPhone rather than a phone and a tablet. I Ye Olden Dayes I would have saved up and bought as many gadgets as I could but now I can skimp a bit on screen space pretty easily if it means I don't have jerk around with a second device. :)

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Need an Option for a 14" Screen

I prefer 14" screens. Perfect for portability and productivity. Unfortunately, Apple does not have an option for that.

G-nius

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2014
I think 13 inch is too small for any serious resolution and 15 inch too big too be really portable. Therefore a 14 incher with a decent resolution (at least 1680 * 1050) would be my preference. That is not an option in your poll unfortunately. Haven't found anything decent IRL either.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
The 17 cMBP for me, for the following reasons:

-Screen is large enough: Can have Safari window and Word doc side by side. Handy while attending school; could give small presentations comfortably when a projector was not available. Movies and pretty much anything else looks amazing on the large screen, and can share it with others. Music software plugins, home recording software, terminal windows, etc have more than enough real estate. Not to mention, it's easy to see.

-iMac replacement. I have a 27", but the 17 would be all the computer I'd need.

-Internal storage flexibility: I replaced the optical with another HDD in RAID 0, providing decent speed, future upgradeability, and massive storage to accommodate a family of 6's apps, photos, videos, and music. SSDs in RAID 0 would pretty much make it the fastest portable around.

-Connectivity flexibility: Got everything except USB3, but the Expresscard slot allows me to expand it infinitely (currently, I have an ESATA card in there for some legacy externals I have)

-Weight/Dimensions: 6.6lbs is not too heavy for me (and still the lightest 17 around). ~1-inch thin means it's nice and sexy and manageable. It has traveled with me around the world, and I've used it comfortably even in commercial flight tray tables. Great for military deployments where it's your only entertainment device.

All that said, it's basically irreplaceable. A Retina just doesn't cut it, yet. Maybe when storage gets large and cheap enough.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
13" is ideal for me. You get a nice comfortable keyboard and enough screen space to multitask with, without it being too bulky.

Heh, so obviously I have had a slight change of heart since posting this. :p

Well, kinda... the 11" definitely isn't the best for multitasking, but I seldom find myself needing to do so while on the go, and I can hook the computer up to my 27" when I'm at home.

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
15" -all I have ever used for work. I imagine that MBPr are going to get thinner and lighter, so the weight issue will be less of a factor.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I have a blast with my 17" when I am on my bed. I can watch TV and surf the web at same time. I have plenty of space to have 2 pages open. I do not use my 27" iMac at all except for more demanding applications.

Now, the 17" is good to keep at home, not to take around. I usually have everything on a cloud or usb drive if I go around.

Having the iPhone, the wallet and the keys is already too much hassle.

cinealta

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
14" has long been validated as the optimum size for a business laptop evidenced by the popularity of IBM Thinkpads. It would be ideal if Apple could make a 14" with "Air" dimensions but "Pro" features.

malandra

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2003
I'm on the fence. I just bought the rmbp 13", and I'm happy with it, but I may go bigger next time around. If I find myself upgrading in a year anyway, because of the iffy 4k support, I'll consider the 15"...I'm at my desk with an external quite a bit, and the 15" screen would be a more useful secondary display than the 13".

arsimoun

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2013
California
Ideal screen size...

This is one of those questions like, "Which is better, Vanilla or Praline with Pecans?"

For me, and it is entirely subjective, the screen is the most important element of a laptop. My primary purpose for using a laptop is to accomplish work. Portability is a secondary consideration. I typically end up in a hotel and work there, so portability is relegated to an even lesser concern. Thus, for my purposes, the 15" MBRP is the ideal size.

YMMV and all that.

Adam Rodman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.