What's the key to long-lasting happiness?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Jun 7, 2015.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

In your opinion, what is the key to long-lasting happiness, MacRumors?

I'd like to hear of books you read, things you do, and positive mindsets that you've learned!

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Being a Wall Street banker and having as much money as long as you want along with an entourage that mimics your every move

Wait, sorry, wrong thread...

3. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

Sounds cliche but i'm only 21 and have learned a lot in my short time. Being content is an absolutely HUGE one. If you keep saying i'll be happy when I find a significant other, get a promotion at work, earn more money, get a nicer house, nicer car, or when you lose the weight that's holding you down...you'll never be satisfied. It'll just keeping you wanting more and more and more without a feeling of long term satisfaction. Might be very happy with your new car or house for a week or two but it's just a money pit that will make you work harder and harder making it more difficult to save money not making you truly happy when the novelty wears off. Also you can't compare yourself to others. I try to not be superior to another person I just try and keep improving and being better than my previous self. Stop and smell the roses and enjoy the current...don't hold your mistakes against yourself. Forgive yourself for them and do your best to correct them. I have MDD and OCD and the bad days are bad but it just makes the days of watching a movie, watching a game, spending time with family that much better. Being a good person to others and yourself is a BIG BIG one as well. I firmly believe there's something after this life but I don't believe in any form of organized religion. We've been making up gods and stories since the dawn of man. There's 4,200 current religious groups. Maybe there's a creator...maybe there's not. I do know for darn sure that i'm going to be a good person because I WANT TO BE and it feels right and good. If you're good to others you're doing the right thing and it makes you feel good. If there's a better place I think it has to do with how you were as a person and not so much your faith because how the heck am I supposed to know what to believe in. Could get eaten alive for that statement but it's what feels right to me 100 percent. Love your close ones as much as you can because they could be healthy and active one day and gone in a matter of hours....really. Learned that the hard way and once they're gone they're gone. Enjoy every day likes it's your last and if you want that piece of cake have that piece of cake...within moderation of course i'm not telling you to eat cake all day. We really could be gone any day and every day on this earth whether be good or bad is an absolute gift because while I absolutely believe there's intelligent life somewhere in the universe the majority is absolutely not and it is extremely rare for everything to happen properly to support life. Being content with what you have is HUGE.

4. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

Stop seeking happiness, instead seek fulfillment.

5. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

This sounds like a simple question, but it's really quite complicated. What exactly is happiness? Why can 2 people with the exact same circumstances have totally different happiness outcomes?

6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I can't believe you described my exact mentality!

7. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

Really? If so that's incredible!

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Live within your means.
    Money is not the be all and end all.
    Can't remember where I saw this quote, but "love people, use things, not love things and use people"
    Friendships, relationships are what to invest your time in. Find a hobby you enjoy doing.

10. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

For me :

Love yourself, Love Life. Be kind. Be Social. Be yourself."

:)

11. A.Goldberg, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

- Having a sense of purpose
    - Surrounding yourself with good people
    - Being a good person in return
    - Doing the things you love in life and finding a sense of balance
    - Practicing acceptance, being grateful
    - Practicing altruism
    - Living in the present
    - Finding Love

Happiness is fleeting. Joy and fulfillment are more permanent.

An addition: Don't compare yourself to others.

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

13. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Yep, I mean it!

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Hang on, I thought I'd blocked that guy :)

Never mind. It's not him.

So what are you? Part of his "coterie", or his "entourage". 'Cause he has both, you know. :)

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Live one day at a time. It's all you have, really.

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Love who you are. That doesn't mean overlooking any inner parts of yourself that may need work, or minimizing the importance of being honest with yourself. What it does mean, is loving who you are as a unique person in this world, realizing that we all have different gifts and abilities. As Donne said, no man is an island unto himself.

In my opinion, too many people look for fulfillment (read: happiness in things and or distractions). While people, gadgets and jobs can help and enrich our life, they cannot bring inner contentment.

18. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The key to life is recognizing that "long lasting happiness" is not the goal at all.

19. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

To realize that you make your own happiness, no thing or outside person can do so. It's a choice. I've found a combination of diet, exercise and just finding fun things to occupy my mind in and around real life have been a real boon. Letting things go that I would crank about is another thing I do. At the end of the day, it's only stressing me out, so why do that?

I've got to be more positive for myself and my current home situation. I can still get the cranky on, but I try to snap out of it quickly.

20. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

1. Happiness are well placed paragraphs.

2. Money doesn't buy happiness but it does buy a better class of misery.

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Cold beers, Hot women, Cool Jazz, it's kept me a happybunny for 70 years

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Don't know about the cool jazz, but the rest is sound advice.

Also, helicopters.

23. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Family and this.

Attached Files:

24. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Sounds good to me!