Whats the knock on Apples smart cover?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by gelie, Mar 12, 2012.

1. gelie macrumors 6502

I really like the look and functionality of it. It really displays the Ipad nicely. Is the Knock that it doesent give the back any protection?

2. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

It's overpriced for one and only front protection.. so you're forced to lay it on it's smartcover for protection, which then hides the "sexy" look of the smartcover.

It's made well, however... Just more designer than function. I have two brand new smart covers unopened.. I think i'll be returning them for different full-portfolio cases.

3. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I agree about it being over-priced but it is a great accessory which is very easy (sometimes too easy) to remove. I use it in conjunction with a skin on the back for rear scratch protection to keep the iPad as thin and light as possible.

4. gelie thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. what skin do you use? Are there several choices?

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

My preference is BestSkinsEver, there are plenty others. There's another thread here with a bunch of various options.

6. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I love the Smart Cover. On my iPad 2 I had a smart cover and a Gelaskin. I'll probably do the same with my iPad 3. I'm a huge Gelaskin fan. Great way to add a personal look.

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Overpriced and no back protection.

Originally I thought the smart cover was stupid however, now that I'm part of the iPad club (or soon will be) the cover isn't looking so bad after all. Speck and a couple other manufacturers make a plastic/rubber shell that will work with the smart cover so you'll get the sexiness of the cover along with some back protection. thinking about going this route for my iPad. or you can get the skins if you want but that's only for scratch protection, not drop/bump protection.

8. gelie thread starter macrumors 6502

Is the BestSkinsEver,mate or shinny finish? easy to apply?

9. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I have a gelaskin on my iPad 2. Just ordered one from SkinIt per my posts here. I've ordered from them before for my MacBook Pro.

In my book, you can't go wrong with either company (check retailmenot.com for coupon codes before ordering!).

10. ZipZap macrumors 601

Plenty of reviews out there indicate that they wear out/fall apart easily.

11. glen e macrumors 68030

I have had a poly since day one and it's used every day traveling and still looks new. The leathers are overpriced and wear....The grey polys are nice and icarbons have stripe skins you can make them look a bit different. Here's mine (not a BMW fanboy, I work for them)
    [​IMG]

12. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

The Smart Cover protects a screen that doesn't need protecting.

BJ

13. oli356 macrumors 6502

It doesn't need protecting why? It can scratch, it can also smash.

14. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

he means, its gorilla glass. it scratches if you make scratches on it. It doesnt scratch per accident that quickly. And when you make it fall, it doesnt matter much what kind of smart cover is on top of it. It needs a good case in that case.

15. oli356 macrumors 6502

I managed to get a few scratches on mine, I'm sure I bought my screenprotector anyway because I had constant fingerprints and the glare. But yeah, your right. They shouldn't scratch easily and if you drop it I doubt the smartcover will make much of a difference!

16. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I use BSE on the back. It's shiny, and adds the perfect amount of grip to an otherwise slippery back. Easy to apply for me. Instead of the recommended spray liquid on the skin then apply, I used a rectangle glass baking dish to dip it in, then shake off all the liquid, then apply and use a cloth to soak up any droplets of water that come out.

17. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I didn't know that such skins existed. That's very cool and I definitely want to do some poly covers up like that for my own company. We do custom woodworking and I'd love for the sales team to have all their iPads with "wood-like" paneling skins. Is there such a beast out there? I even looked into having some laminates done up that could be cut to fit for that purpose. I also looked into getting custom wood back cases developed but the cost of that is prohibitive given each one would need to be hand-carved unless I ordered like 1000 of them.

**EDIT**

OMG they do faux wood skins?!?!?! /FACEPALM

Ordering as soon as the iPad 3 ones are available, and some for the remaining iPad 2's around here immediately!

Thank you so much for posting that pic!

18. elvineet macrumors member

WOW!!! Thank you for suggesting this! I had been slowly talking myself into liking the idea of a case for an iPad that will stay indoors 99% of the time. All I wanted was a way to prevent scratches without adding weight. These Gelaskins are beautiful.

19. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

Like the bumper for the iPhone, I think they are hugely over priced. They do complement the looks of the iPad though.

20. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Is the back of the iPad similar to an aluminum MacBook? My 2008 MB does have some scuffing but all things considered it's not that bad. I carry it around a lot.

I'm thinking of a smart cover with a sleeve if so.

21. pettifogger06 macrumors member

This is what I'm doing too. Any input from folks regarding the back? I have AppleCare and will have a pretty hefty sleeve (saddleback) for transport, but what are the situations in which you guys have seen substantial wear to the back?

More specifically, I have the original iPad (admittedly not a heavy user), and the back looks pretty new. It was in a case for about half of the time, but I just don't see it getting too banged up if it mostly goes from desk to counter to sofa, etc. Am I missing something?