What's the latest model MBP that I can replace HDD with SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ad42, Aug 27, 2015.

1. ad42 macrumors newbie

Hi all

Apologies, I'm a Mac noob (boo) but I've had enough of MS/Windows and so am switching to Apple (yay), and am buying a Macbook Pro.

I have a question. It seems that buying an MBP with a good-sized SSD (512GB) is expensive. I'd be better off buying one with a hard drive and replacing that with my own SSD.

So my question is: what's the latest model MBP with which I can do this? (13").

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

The last MacBook Pro with a replaceable hard drive is the 2012 MacBook Pro (non-retina display). They still sell the 13" for $1099 new, but you could probably get it refurbished or used for cheaper. Just know that the processor hasn't been updated in 3 years.

3. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

The day buying macbook pro that is user upgradable are long gone. Buying macbook pro nowadays pretty much the same as you would like to buy an ipad. you figure out what screen size you want and then determine the storage.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

A refurbished 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display and 512 GB SSD is $1,399. That's the way I'd go as the "classic" model that has a replaceable hard drive is pretty outdated otherwise.

A refurbished Mac carries the same warranty as a new one and can also be upgraded with AppleCare.

5. ad42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. I thought I might be looking at a previous year's model, but not one dating back to 2012.

People here seem very relaxed about not being able to upgrade their SSD (and RAM, presumably). Is that really the case?

6. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

What can you do really ? If you want to use OS X laptop there is only one option. I dont like the idea at first, but since using my new mbp and how fast it is, I can cope with using external HD for more storage.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It used to bother me, but I just buy the computer that suits my needs and use it until it doesn't. Fortunately Macs have good resale value, I can recoup some of my costs when its time to upgrade.

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Same here. I originally bought a 2015 15" MBP with the 256GB SSD but didn't like the idea of having that size SSD. I exchanged it for the 512GB 16GB RAM model and have been much happier.

Now that I have the maximum specs without going BTO, I am fine with that. It will last a long time.